Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- ▢½ cup flour
- ▢1 egg
- ▢3/4 cup coconut milk
- ▢1 pound large shrimp , 16-20 pieces
- ▢½ cup bread crumbs
- ▢1 1/2 cups coconut flakes , see notes
- ▢3/4- 1 teaspoon salt , adjust to preference
- ▢1 teaspoon paprika
- ▢1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ▢1/2 teaspoon dried thyme , iptional
Pineapple Marmalade Dip
- ▢1 cup pineapple marmalade
- ▢2 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ▢2 tablespoon mayonnaise
Sriracha Dipping Sauce
- ▢1/2 cup mayonnaise
- ▢2/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- ▢1/4 teaspoon paprika
- ▢1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ▢1-2 tablespoons sriracha adjust to taste
- Prepare the dip by combining ingredients together and refrigerate.
- Marmalade Dip
: In a medium bowl, combine the marmalade, mayonnaise, and Dijon mustard. Cover and refrigerate for at least several hours to allow flavors to blend. Do the same if making the sirracha sauce.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Align cookie sheet with parchment or foil paper, coat with cooking spray.
- Peel and devein shrimp leaving the tails on. Butterfly the shrimp: cutting halfway through the back, stopping at the tail, so they will be able to stand tail up.
- Whisk the egg, coconut milk, milk or beer, and flour in a medium mixing bowl until a smooth batter is formed.
- In another bowl, mix bread crumbs, coconut flakes, and spices.
- Hold shrimp by tail, dip each shrimp first in batter, and then roll in seasoned coconut mixture. Place on baking sheet tail up.
- Bake the shrimp until cooked through and the coating is starting to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve the shrimp with dip.
- If frying shrimp, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp a few pieces at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink and golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Tips & Notes:
Make-ahead for Coconut Shrimp
- When you finish breading the shrimp you can place in the fridge, and let it stay there til you are ready to fry about 4-6 hours.
- If you want to make this days or months ahead of time then it can be done. Here’s how you do it:
- Remove shrimp from the fryer and bring to room temperature. Place shrimp making cookie sheet or large plate, make sure they are not touching each other. Place in the freezer until it freezes.
- Now transfer to an airtight plastic bag or a zip-lock bag and store for up to two (2) months.
- When ready to eat or serve, pre-heat oven to 400°F, line a cookie sheet or baking pan with parchment or foil paper cook /bake for about 18- 20 minutes flipping once halfway through baking, until shrimp is crisp and is heated through.
- If frying, place shrimp in hot oil about 375°F fry directly until shrimp is crisp and heated through, about 3-5 minutes. (Africanbites)