Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

PM willing to extend SoE again

Admin by Admin
May 28, 2026
in Regional
IN A CELEBRATORY MOOD: Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar makes a joyful noise as she celebrates on Saturday at the UNC’s congress meeting and one-year anniversary celebration in Couva. —Photo: JERMAINE CRUICKSHANK

IN A CELEBRATORY MOOD: Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar makes a joyful noise as she celebrates on Saturday at the UNC’s congress meeting and one-year anniversary celebration in Couva. —Photo: JERMAINE CRUICKSHANK

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

THE state of emergency (SoE) will be extended by another three months if this is recommended by the National Security Council, says Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

‘If advised by the Government’s National Security Council to extend the SoE, I will have no problem to do so,’ said Persad-Bissessar in response to questions from the Express yesterday.

READ ALSO

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

The SoE took effect on March 3, 2026, and Parliament approved a three-month extension on March 13, 2026. It is expected to end in June 2026 unless the Government moves to extend it again before then.

Persad-Bissessar said there has been a decline in serious crime in 2025, and Trinidad and Tobago is on course for a reduced murder rate this year.

Asked how she would respond to critics who argue that the decrease in crime is a result of the SoE, Persad-Bissessar said: ‘Well, if they are saying that the decrease in crime is because of the SoE, that would mean the SoE is working. Therefore, logically, they shouldn’t be against it. Law-abiding citizens have no problem with the SoE, it’s just the political and race grifters, along with the criminals and their supporters, who are against it.’

The Prime Minister noted that in 2024, under the People’s National Movement (PNM), the country recorded its highest-ever murder toll-626.

She said 2025 has seen a major decline under the United National Congress (UNC), with 367 murders recorded, 259 fewer than in 2024.

It was the lowest annual figure since 2011, a span of 15 years, she noted.

‘This year, we are working hard to have less murders than 2025 and are on track to do so. There has also been a decrease in serious crimes this year compared to last year. I expect more success as we are adopting new technologies and are being assisted by the US to improve our anti-crime capabilities,’ she said.

Questioned about funding to strengthen the national security apparatus, Persad-Bissessar said after reviewing the existing system, it became clear that the country was not getting value for money.

She said the Government had also found that it was overpaying in many instances when equal or better options were available at lower cost. Further, she said the Government was ‘paying for outdated or unnecessary services and equipment’ and was ‘bounded to a small mafia of suppliers’.

She said that was why her administration sought assistance from the United States and would be receiving funding. ‘The costs would not be exorbitant,’ she assured. The Prime Minister reiterated that the crime problem cannot be fixed overnight but said gains are already being made in dismantling gangs and cutting off funding streams.

‘The end of the CEPEP and URP programmes helped cut funding of gangs, along with the American military presence in the region. The blowing up of drug boats coming to Trinidad from South America severely impacted gangs and drug trafficking business fronts here,’ she said.

Persad-Bissessar said the country’s economy is heavily influenced by illegal drug and illegal gambling money that is laundered through local businesses.

She said: ‘That’s why you suddenly saw some businesses struggling, closing or posting decreased revenue after the American military started taking out the drug supply into Trinidad.’

The National Security Council in Trinidad and Tobago is typically chaired by the Prime Minister and comprises key ministers and senior national security officials responsible for the country’s security and defence policy.

While the exact composition can vary depending on the administration and matters under discussion, the council generally includes: the Prime Minister, Attorney General, Minister of Homeland Security, Minister of Defence, Minister of Foreign and Caricom Affairs, Commissioner of Police, Chief of Defence Staff, director of the Strategic Services Agency (SSA), and other senior security and intelligence officials as required.

Trinidad Express

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

St. Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) in Santa Cruz, St. Elizabeth, suffered extensive structural damage following the passage of the powerful Category 5 Hurricane Melissa.
Regional

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The Ministry of Education, Skills, Youth and Information is preparing contingency plans, including rotating students on alternate days, for schools...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Former Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago government to disclose how many nationals have...

Read moreDetails
From left: Newly appointed Bank of Jamaica Governor, Dr Brian Langrin and outgoing BOJ Governor Richard Byles.
Regional

JAMAICA | BOJ Governor Byles Bows Out. Langrin Takes Over on Wednesday.

by Admin
August 18, 2026

After seven years that carried Jamaica from a pandemic to an 11.8 per cent price spike and back inside the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Senator Andy Kim, center, tried to de-escalate the worsening situation outside Delaney Hall. Credit: Dakota Santiago for The New York Times

DIASPORA | When ‘America First’ Means Black and Brown Last: The Racial Architecture of Trump’s Immigration Purge


EDITOR'S PICK

INews Photo

Decomposed bodies of wife and child found by husband

June 1, 2023

The last Castro  

April 18, 2021

US seizes oil tanker off Venezuela as Caracas condemns ‘act of piracy’

December 11, 2025

Chinese engineers plan to study building greenhouse on lunar surface

April 21, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice