Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- 1 medium size eggplant
- 1 small beefsteak tomato
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 wiri wiri pepper or scotch bonnet, chopped finely
- fresh thyme leaves
- 1-2 tbsp butter, oil, or ghee
- Wrap eggplant twice in aluminum foil. Make two handles on the side to help with rotating while roasting. Roast eggplant for 30 minutes on the stove top or bake in the oven.
- Chop heads off of garlic cloves and wrap in foil. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Wrap tomato in foil and roast on the stove top with eggplant or on a separate burner for about 25-30 minutes.
- Once the eggplant is done roasting, open foil, slit down the center and remove the insides into a mixing bowl. Mash with a fork to loosen eggplant. Set aside.
- Once garlic and tomato are done roasting, remove from skin, mash, and add to mashed eggplant.
- Add salt and black pepper to suit your tastes. Add your choice of butter, oil, or ghee to eggplant and stir.
- Add sliced onions, wiri wiri pepper, and fresh thyme. Serve hot with pita bread, roti, or bakes!