Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
1 cup yellow cornmeal
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
pinch cayenne (optional)
¾ cup buttermilk (or whole milk)
1 large egg
¼ cup grated onion (optional)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- In a dutch oven or heavy bottom skillet with deep sides, add peanut oil or oil you are using about 3-4 inches up the side of the pan. Bring the oil up to temperature over medium heat to 350°F.
- While the oil is heating up, make the batter. Add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne to a large bowl, stir to combine.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and grated onion.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir them in so there are no dry patches.
- Add the butter and stir it in until combined.
- Once the oil is to temp, add just under 1 tablespoon-sized dollops into the hot oil, be very careful at this step. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown on the outside.
- Place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain while you fry the remaining hush puppies.
- Serve with softened butter on the side for dipping, optional. (Source-thecountrycook.net)