Opposition  condemns agreement signed by Venezuelan leaders to unite around claim to Essequibo 

Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.

The main opposition – the A Partnership for National Unity + Alliance For Change (APNU+AFC) – said it notes with concern the agreement signed by the Heads of Delegation of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and the Unity Platform of Venezuela on September 6, 2021 in Mexico City, Mexico.

APNU+AFC Shadow Foreign Affairs Minister, Amanza Walton-Desir

“The APNU+AFC Coalition takes this opportunity to reaffirm the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Guyana and to remind that the Guyana/Venezuela controversy remains before the International Court of Justice for resolution,” APNU+AFC Shadow Foreign Affairs Minister, Amanza Walton-Desir said in a statement.

Like the Government, the Opposition reiterated its faith in the rule of international law in pursuit of a peaceful settlement of the controversy surrounding the 1899 Arbitral Award. The APNU+AFC Member of Parliament said the Opposition, in this regard, will continue to support the national approach of safeguarding Guyana’s sovereignty.

In a statement issues earlier on Wednesday, the Government of Guyana, firmly rejected the agreement signed by the Venezuelan Leaders solidifying claims to Guyana’s territory, west of the Essequibo River.

Advertisement

The Government said is “an overt threat to the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Guyana.”

The agreement formed part of a move by Venezuela’s Government and Opposition to bring an end to the five-year political impasse and the nation’s economic crisis but the Guyanese Government said Guyana will not be used as an altar of sacrifice.

“Guyana cannot be used as an altar of sacrifice for settlement of Venezuela’s internal political differences. While the Government of Guyana welcomes domestic accord within Venezuela, an agreement defying international law and process is not a basis for mediating harmony,” the Government said.

In a joint statement issued by the Venezuelan Government and Opposition, the two sides reiterated that the International Court of Justice (ICJ) has no jurisdiction to adjudicate over the aged old controversy but Guyana rejected such contention.

“The controversy between Guyana and Venezuela is properly before the International Court of Justice and will remain there for peaceful resolution,” the government stated.

In March, 2018, the Guyana instituted proceedings against Venezuela with respect to the controversy surrounding the validity and binding effect of the 1899 Arbitral Award, which outlined the boundary against then British Guiana and Venezuela. The ICJ, upon assuming jurisdiction, set March 8, 2022 for the submission of Guyana’s Memorial, and March 8, 2023 for Venezuela’s Counter-Memorial.



Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice



Next Post

Port Kaituma teachers join nationwide strike 

Wed Sep 8 , 2021
Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice. More than three dozen teachers attached to the Port Kaituma Primary School as well as the nursery school at the Region One community have downed tools, as they voice their support for the Guyana Teacher’s Union (GTU) call for a nationwide strike action over the government ‘s mandatory vaccination policy […]

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?