Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

U.S. strikes 8th alleged drug vessel, this time on the Pacific side

Admin by Admin
October 22, 2025
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

CBS News- The U.S. struck another alleged drug vessel Tuesday night, this time on the Pacific side of South America, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth confirmed Wednesday.

In what is the eighth known U.S. attack on a boat since Sept. 2, two individuals aboard the vessel were killed, Hegseth said. The other seven strikes targeted vessels in the Caribbean.

READ ALSO

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

Hegseth wrote on social media that the Defense Department conducted the strike at President Trump’s direction and alleged the vessel was operated by a “designated terrorist organization and conducting narco-trafficking in the Eastern Pacific.”

He continued: “The vessel was known by our intelligence to be involved in illicit narcotics smuggling, was transiting along a known narco-trafficking transit route, and carrying narcotics. There were two narco-terrorists aboard the vessel during the strike, which was conducted in international waters.”

Hegseth said no U.S. forces were harmed in the strike. He also shared a video of the strike, in which viewers see a vessel moving through the water, and then hit and engulfed in flames.

Democratic Sen. Mark Kelly of Arizona said Sunday on “Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan,” “We want to keep fentanyl out of the United States, … but those routes through the Caribbean on boats are predominantly used to bring cocaine to Europe,” not to the U.S. And fentanyl tends to be transported to to the U.S. “from a different way,” Kelly added.

The Pentagon has not yet responded to a request for information about the nationalities of the individuals on the boat.

Kelly also told “Face the Nation” that when administration officials briefed Congress on the drug vessel strikes, they “had a very hard time explaining to us the rationale, the legal rationale for doing this and the constitutionality of doing it.” He said lawmakers were told there is “a secret list of over 20 narco organizations, drug trafficking cartels,” but U.S. officials did not share the list with Congress.

At least 34 people have been killed in U.S. strikes on alleged drug boats. The Trump administration has told Congress the U.S. is in a “non-international armed conflict” with drug cartels, arguing that the narcotics they smuggle kill tens of thousands of Americans every year, and this constitutes an “armed attack.”

Two men survived a U.S. strike on a suspected drug-trafficking submersible vessel in the Caribbean last week, and the U.S. repatriated the men, one from Ecuador and one from Colombia. Ecuador released the man, identified as Andrés Fernando Tufiño, after authorities said they had found no evidence that he had committed a crime.

The Colombian citizen remains hospitalized after his repatriation. Interior Minister Armando Benedetti said he “arrived with brain trauma, sedated, drugged, breathing with a ventilator.” Authorities there said he would face prosecution. Two other men were killed in the strike on the submersible vessel.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Global

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Britain paid £20 million to slave owners in 1834 and not one farthing to the people they had owned. The...

Read moreDetails
Nareeta-Nandkumar (Guyana Chronicle photo)
Global

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

by Admin
August 19, 2026

A young Guyanese woman is preparing to take part in an international space initiative bringing together girls from more than...

Read moreDetails
Members of the 16th Chinese Medical Team to Nepal work at B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital in Bharatpur, central-southern Nepal. /CFP
Global

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

by Admin
August 19, 2026

For 86-year-old Dai Guogui, managing diabetes alongside heart disease as well as a history of suffering strokes was once an...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Dwayne Tottleben. GoFundMe

A federal prisoner was shot dead in Florida in rare gunfire behind bars


EDITOR'S PICK

Rescue Mission for MV Barima victims

Questions Grow Over Rescue Response as More Than Half Aboard MV Barima Remain Unaccounted For

July 19, 2026

CONFRONTING A CHANGING ADVOCACY LANDSCAPE IN GUYANA

January 5, 2026
Pinterest photo

6 Promising Health Benefits of Wasabi

March 24, 2024
(L-R) Leader of the Opposition Aubrey Norton and Chairperson ret'd Justice Claudette Singh

Norton Calls on GECOM to Halt Declaration of Election Results, Demands Forensic Audit

September 5, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice