Monday, August 17, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Brazil rebuts U.S. proposal for new tariffs

Admin by Admin
June 3, 2026
in Global
eBay Photo

eBay Photo

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

RIO DE JANEIRO, June 3 (Xinhua) — The Brazilian government on Tuesday rebutted a U.S. proposal to impose new tariffs on Brazilian products, expressing “indignation” over what it called unfair trade practices by the United States.

The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative proposed tariffs of up to 25 percent on Brazilian products following a trade investigation concluded on Monday. The investigation accused Brazil of adopting practices that “burden or restrict” trade with the United States.

READ ALSO

Iran rejects ‘delusions’ after Trump says he wants the Strait of Hormuz to be a U.S. territory

Foreigners Reap Guyana’s Gold While Citizens Struggle

“There was and is no justification for these unilateral measures against our country or against Brazilian assets such as PIX (Brazil’s instant payment platform), explicitly mentioned in the preliminary recommendations,” the government said in a statement.

Data from the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis show that the U.S. trade surplus in goods and services with Brazil reached 424.5 billion U.S. dollars over the 15-year period from 2011 to 2025.

Last year, 76 percent of U.S. imports into Brazil entered without paying import tax, and the average effective tariff rate on U.S. products in Brazil was only 3.1 percent.

“The main effect of the unilateral, politically motivated tariffs has been to damage Brazil’s economy, job and income generation, as well as to diminish the U.S. role as our trading partner,” said the government.

The statement added that the U.S. share of Brazilian exports fell to an all-time low of 9.4 percent in the first quarter of 2026.

The Brazilian government reaffirmed its right to resort to reciprocal measures, but reiterated that it would adopt any and all measures capable of mitigating potential damage to the economy.

The statement also criticized the Bolsonaro family’s actions against national interests, noting that the coordination between Brazil’s executive branch and the U.S. government has been sabotaged.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

President Donald Trump 
Evelyn Hockstein/Reuters
Global

Iran rejects ‘delusions’ after Trump says he wants the Strait of Hormuz to be a U.S. territory

by Admin
August 16, 2026

(NBC News)— A defiant Iran called on the U.S. to “accept the reality of defeat and stop indulging in delusions”...

Read moreDetails
Global

Foreigners Reap Guyana’s Gold While Citizens Struggle

by Admin
August 15, 2026

Dear Editor I am begging you to help Guyanese like myself find answers based on some form of logic, years...

Read moreDetails
US Passport (Google Photo)
Global

U.S. Moves to Strip Kansas Man of Citizenship Over Alleged False Identity

by Admin
August 13, 2026

The United States government has filed a civil action seeking to revoke the naturalized citizenship of an Olathe man born...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Corentyne flood (previous)

PNCR/APNU Raises Alarm Over Corentyne Flooding, Cites Longstanding Drainage Problems


EDITOR'S PICK

In Guyana, democracy means demons gone crazy

May 7, 2023

Record-making openers propel New Zealand into commanding position

December 21, 2025
Allison Skinner-Bacchus in her pink curtain that she wore to gain entry into the Treasury building.

Dressed for access: T&T woman drapes in curtain to enter Gov’t office

October 16, 2022

Govt leveraging AI, robotics and telemedicine to deliver world-class healthcare – President Ali

March 13, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice