Monday, August 17, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

White House orders freeze on federal aid to focus on Trump’s conservative agenda

Admin by Admin
January 28, 2025
in Global
President Donald Trump Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

President Donald Trump Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump has ordered a freeze on domestic and foreign federal aid in a sweeping effort to stop government funding for causes that don’t fit with his agenda.

A memo sent out Monday night from Matthew J. Vaeth, acting director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, said the changes would go into effect at 5 p.m. ET Tuesday and relate to a string of executive orders Trump has signed since taking office last week.

READ ALSO

Iran rejects ‘delusions’ after Trump says he wants the Strait of Hormuz to be a U.S. territory

Foreigners Reap Guyana’s Gold While Citizens Struggle

“Federal agencies must temporarily pause all activities related to obligation or disbursement of all Federal financial assistance, and other relevant agency activities that may be implicated by the executive orders, including, but not limited to, financial assistance for foreign aid, nongovernmental organizations, DEI, woke gender ideology, and the green new deal,” Vaeth said.

The memo said the pause in aid, such as grants and loans, would allow “time to review agency programs and determine the best uses of the funding for those programs consistent with the law and the President’s priorities.”

The memo, which could affect billions of dollars in aid, noted an exception for Social Security and Medicare and direct payments to individuals, saying those benefits would not be affected.

Vaeth said in the memo that agencies must “immediately identify” any legally mandated actions or deadlines that could come up during the pause.

The memo, first reported by Marisa Kabas at The Handbasket, did not detail which groups or programs would be affected, but emphasized that federal aid must be brought in line with Trump’s policy agenda, including a flurry of executive orders that marked a dramatic break with the Biden administration. Trump signed more executive orders Monday, including ones designed to roll back government diversity, equity and inclusion operations, and to build an Israel-style “Iron Dome” missile defense system.

Speaking at the House Republicans’ annual policy retreat at his Trump National Doral golf resort in Miami, the president said his administration “has been moving with urgency and historic speed to reverse every single disaster of the Biden administration.”

Monday’s memo sparked immediate pushback on Capitol Hill, where some believe it poses a direct challenge to the authority given exclusively to Congress.

The Democratic leaders of the House and the Senate appropriations committees — Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., and Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. — wrote to OMB expressing their “extreme alarm about the Administration’s efforts to undermine Congress’s power of the purse, threaten our national security, and deny resources for states, localities, American families, and businesses.”

“The scope of what you are ordering is breathtaking, unprecedented, and will have devastating consequences across the country,” they added, going on to say that the pause is unconstitutional and unlawful.

Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee simply responded in a post on X: “Hey so this is insane.”

Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., also joined the rising chorus of opposition voices attacking the federal aid pause.

“More lawlessness and chaos in America as Donald Trump’s Administration blatantly disobeys the law by holding up virtually all vital funds that support programs in every community across the country. If this continues, the American people will pay an awful price,” he said in a statement late Monday.

“They say this is only temporary, but no one should believe that,” he added. “Congress approved these investments and they are not optional; they are the law.”

Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker also said on X that the unilateral move was unconstitutional.

“In Illinois, we will stand against unlawful actions that would harm millions of working families, children, and seniors,” he said. NBC News

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

President Donald Trump 
Evelyn Hockstein/Reuters
Global

Iran rejects ‘delusions’ after Trump says he wants the Strait of Hormuz to be a U.S. territory

by Admin
August 16, 2026

(NBC News)— A defiant Iran called on the U.S. to “accept the reality of defeat and stop indulging in delusions”...

Read moreDetails
Global

Foreigners Reap Guyana’s Gold While Citizens Struggle

by Admin
August 15, 2026

Dear Editor I am begging you to help Guyanese like myself find answers based on some form of logic, years...

Read moreDetails
US Passport (Google Photo)
Global

U.S. Moves to Strip Kansas Man of Citizenship Over Alleged False Identity

by Admin
August 13, 2026

The United States government has filed a civil action seeking to revoke the naturalized citizenship of an Olathe man born...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Google photo

Holding credible elections even if delayed far more important than rushing through flawed elections-WPA


EDITOR'S PICK

Rohingyas are seen on a ship as they are moved to Bhasan Char island [Reuters]

Bangladesh ships Rohingya refugees to remote island despite outcry

December 4, 2020

EU Launches Election Observation Mission to Guyana

August 4, 2025
China has recently discovered a gold deposit of nearly 50 tonnes. /CFP

China discovers huge gold deposit worth $3 billion

March 23, 2023

Cane cutter dies after run over by excavator

September 23, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice