Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour + ½ cup more for kneading
- 4 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened, but not melted
- 1 ⅓ cup water, more as needed
- Oil for frying
- 20oz boneless, skinless, salted white fish such as pollock or cod (or fish of choice)
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 wiri wiri pepper or scotch bonnet
- ¼ cup green pepper, finely diced
- 1 sprig thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 2 sprigs scallions
- Salt to taste, if desired
- 6 tbsp oil for cooking
- For bakes: Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together. Rub butter into flour mixture. Add water to flour and knead to form a stiff and smooth dough ball. Add flour as needed to bring the dough together.
- Pinch off golf ball -sized pieces of dough and roll in palms of hand to make smooth. Place in a greased plate. Cover with a damp paper towel. Allow to sit for one hour minimum.
- Heat oil for frying. Flour surface and roll each dough ball to ¼-1/8 inch thickness. Place dough in hot oil. Use spoon to pour oil over each piece of dough as this will help it puff up.
- Flip to other side. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- For saltfish: Fill the pot with enough water to cover saltfish. Boil for 5-6 minutes. Drain and fill with clean water. Boil another 5-6 minutes. Drain and flake fish with a fork. Set aside.
- Heat frying pan with oil. Add onion, garlic, hot pepper, green pepper to pan. Cook until onions are translucent. Add saltfish and seasonings. Cook a couple of minutes then add chopped tomatoes. Let cook 5-6 minutes until tomatoes have melted into fish.
- Add tomato paste and scallions. Mix well. Adjust salt to taste.
Recipe below is for the more dense type of bake.
(makes 10-12 bakes)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (substitute ½ cup whole wheat flour for a healthier option)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 6 tbsp vegetable shortening or cold butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together. Add shortening or butter. Cut in with a fork. Add water to knead dough. Add more or less water and flour as needed to bring the dough together. Roll into small dough balls and place on a greased plate. Cover with damp paper towel to avoid crust from forming. Let dough rest for one hour minimum.
- Heat enough oil for frying.
- Flour surface and roll each dough ball to ¼ inch thickness.
- Fry until bake is golden brown on each side. (Alicaspepperpot)