Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Inheritors to pass on Nanjing Massacre memory

Admin by Admin
December 13, 2022
in Global
People visit the Memorial Hall of the Victims of the Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders in Nanjing, capital of east China's Jiangsu Province, on September 18, 2020. (XINHUA)

People visit the Memorial Hall of the Victims of the Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders in Nanjing, capital of east China's Jiangsu Province, on September 18, 2020. (XINHUA)

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The first group of inheritors of memory of the Nanjing Massacre are expected to attend the ceremony of China’s ninth state commemoration for Nanjing Massacre victims on December 13.

The 13 memory inheritors are members of the families of ten survivors of the massacre.

READ ALSO

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

Earlier this month, Xiang Yuansong, who survived the Nanjing Massacre, passed away in Nanjing, capital of east China’s Jiangsu Province, at the age of 94, reducing the total number of registered survivors to 54, according to the Memorial Hall of the Victims of the Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders.

The Chinese government has preserved the survivors’ testimonies, recorded in written documents and video footage. These records of the massacre were listed by UNESCO in the Memory of the World Register in 2015.

Among the first group of selected memory inheritors, Xia Yuan and her son Li Yuhan are both from the family of survivor Xia Shuqin.

“I grew up listening to the war experience of my grandmother. Now she can neither hear nor see clearly. It was her wish that we testify for her and let people know about the crimes committed by the Japanese invaders,” said Xia Yuan.

Xia’s son Li Yuhan, 12, though the youngest among the inheritors, has accumulated years of experience as a young guide in the memorial hall.

“I took him to attend the family mourning when he was in kindergarten. He learned that his great-grandmother had lost her parents when she was younger than him. After going to elementary school, he took the initiative to go to the memorial hall to be a guide,” Xia Yuan said, adding that her son fully understands the responsibility of the memory inheritance.

In April this year, Wang Heng, one of the massacre survivors, died at the age of 100. His granddaughter Wang Lian said she helped the centenarian open his online account last year to tell about what he witnessed in the massacre. “I wrote at his dictation. I told him that the logging attracted nearly 3,000 followers in less than five days, and he was very happy.”

In 2014, China’s top legislature designated Dec. 13 as the national memorial day for the victims of the Nanjing Massacre.

The Nanjing Massacre took place when Japanese troops captured the then-Chinese capital on Dec. 13, 1937. Over six weeks, they killed approximately 300,000 Chinese civilians and unarmed soldiers in one of the most barbaric episodes of World War II.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Global

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Britain paid £20 million to slave owners in 1834 and not one farthing to the people they had owned. The...

Read moreDetails
Nareeta-Nandkumar (Guyana Chronicle photo)
Global

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

by Admin
August 19, 2026

A young Guyanese woman is preparing to take part in an international space initiative bringing together girls from more than...

Read moreDetails
Members of the 16th Chinese Medical Team to Nepal work at B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital in Bharatpur, central-southern Nepal. /CFP
Global

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

by Admin
August 19, 2026

For 86-year-old Dai Guogui, managing diabetes alongside heart disease as well as a history of suffering strokes was once an...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

IAAD condemns Central Government forceful removal of vendors, urges review of action


EDITOR'S PICK

Pandit Ubraj Narine
Religious Secretary

Honouring Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi with The Order of Excellence of Guyana

November 19, 2024
The first cows walk into the Moblissa facility (DDL photo)

DDL Imports Breeding Cattle for US$30M Dairy Project at Historic Moblissa Site

May 10, 2026

The passing of Senior Supt Stuart

April 26, 2021
This aerial photo shows workers of Shandong Lvfeng Agriculture Group Co., Ltd. harvesting grass in Wudi County, east China's Shandong Province. Photo:Xinhua

China vows to push rural vitalization comprehensively with launch of No.1 central document for 2023

February 14, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice