Sunday, August 23, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

West Indies-Australia ODI suspended after positive Covid test emerges moments before play

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
July 23, 2021
in Sports
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

READ ALSO

Shadab leads Falcons past Patriots to fourth place on the table

Pretorius, Shamar, batters give Guyana Amazon Warriors second straight win

The second ODI between West Indies and Australia was postponed moments before the first ball after a positive Covid test emerged from the West Indies camp to leave the remainder of this tour and upcoming series for both teams in doubt.
The toss had taken place and teams named – with Riley Meredith handed a debut – when the test result came through sending both squads, match officials and TV crew into isolation at the hotel.
“The second CG Insurance ODI between West Indies and Australia has been postponed due to a positive COVID-19 test result from a non-playing member of the West Indies staff,” a CWI statement said. “This decision was taken after the toss at Kensington Oval once the result was known.
“The established COVID-19 protocols stipulate that all members of both teams and match officials will return immediately to the team hotel and will be re-tested later today. They will remain in isolation in their hotel rooms until their PCR-Test results are returned.
“A decision on when the match will be replayed will be made at a later date once all the test results are confirmed.”
Johnny Grave, the Cricket West Indies CEO, said that it was hoped the results of the fresh round of tests would be known by Friday morning.
A Cricket Australia spokesman added: “The Australian squad has returned to the team hotel and is in in-room isolation. No further comment will be made at this stage.”
The status of the current game, given the toss had taken place, remains to be confirmed. The match carries World Cup Super League points.
The events will put the remainder of this series in doubt with the final ODI scheduled to take place on Saturday and will also throw uncertainty over Australia heading to Bangladesh for the five-match T20I series which was confirmed yesterday.
After this series West Indies are due to face Pakistan in a five-match T20I series followed by two Tests. Pakistan arrived in Barbados, where the first two T20Is are scheduled to be played, on Wednesday after their tour of England.
West Indies have previously been impacted by Covid while playing with Hayden Walsh Jr testing positive on the tour of Bangladesh earlier in the year.
It is the first time Australia have been directly involved during the pandemic since cricket resumed. They toured England last year before hosting India in their home summer and then visiting New Zealand for T20Is. Their Test tour to South Africa in February was postponed due to concerns around Covid-19.
A number of players from both teams were involved in the IPL when it was suspended in May.
ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Shadab Khan gave the chase the impetus it needed  •  CPL T20
Sports

Shadab leads Falcons past Patriots to fourth place on the table

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Antigua and Barbuda Falcons 191 for 7 (Lewis 48, Nawaz 33, Shadab 30, Holder 2-39) beat St Kitts and Nevis Patriots 187 for...

Read moreDetails
Shamar Joseph's speed was too hot to handle for St Lucia Kings  •  CPL T20
Sports

Pretorius, Shamar, batters give Guyana Amazon Warriors second straight win

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Guyana Amazon Warriors 157 for 3 (Dindyal 50, Phillips 36, Theekshana 2-33) beat St Lucia Kings 151 for 7 (Asalanka 35, Pretorius 3-29,...

Read moreDetails
Noor Ahmad was the star bowler for St Lucia Kings when they won the title in 2024  •  CPL T20 via Getty Images
Sports

St Lucia Kings lose Noor Ahmad for CPL after ACB revokes his NOC

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Noor Ahmad, the Afghanistan left-arm wristspinner, will miss the CPL 2026 season, where he was a part of the St Lucia Kings squad, after the Afghanistan...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Man severely burnt as fire destroys apartments at BK Quarries


EDITOR'S PICK

Three arrested for 20lbs marijuana

February 17, 2021

GPF warns of Facebook scam targeting females

November 26, 2020

The Future is Fast: CWI Puts the Region’s Emerging Pace Talents to the Test in Antigua

June 2, 2026
GHK Lall

Southport Inquiry: a real one, real results

April 16, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice