Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
(SPORTS MAX) In confirming his withdrawal from the CWI presidential race that was supposed to have been held on Sunday, March 28, Calvin Hope says he is still committed to what is in the best interest of the administration of the sport across the region.
Hope, the vice president of the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) and a member of the board of CWI, was the running mate of presidential hopeful Anand Sanasie, the former secretary of the Guyana Cricket Board.
Their bid was scuppered earlier this week when the administration of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) was swept from power in elections that were being held for the first time in more than a decade. Bissoondyal Singh was elected the new Guyana Cricket Board president while Ronald Williams was installed as the new Secretary, replacing Sanasie. In light of the development, Sanasie on Thursday issued a statement announcing his withdrawal from the race for the presidency with Hope issuing his own statement shortly thereafter.
“We remain firmly committed to, and passionate about, cricket and to focusing on what is in the best interest of the administration of West Indies cricket,” Hope said in his statement. “We extend our sincere gratitude to the Guyana Cricket Board and the Barbados Cricket Association for nominating and supporting our intentions to run for the respective positions within CWI. We also thank our advisors, supporters, members of the media, and the CWI Full Member Territorial Boards for their time and positive interest given to us over the past weeks. We retain our pioneering spirit and look forward to a bright future for cricket in the West Indies.”
The AGM that was to have been held virtually on Sunday, March 28, was postponed until April 11, after the CWI board was unable to convene a quorum after the BCA and the GCB failed to have representatives present. That meant that there were only eight shareholder members present when the CWI constitution required a minimum of nine for a quorum. The dissenting boards claimed that the CWI failed to send audited financial statements in a timely manner and that did not give them enough time to pursue those financials in time for the AGM. That, they said, was among the reasons for the decision to end their campaign.
“Given the unfortunate circumstances leading up to and recent events in Guyana regarding the Guyana Cricket Board, one of the six Full Members of CWI, together with the refusal by the leadership of CWI to uphold the highest standards, long-standing traditions and rules for governing the administration of West Indies cricket, we, Anand Sanasie and Calvin Hope, having distanced ourselves from such action of CWI, have decided to withdraw our respective candidacies for President and Vice President in the CWI election scheduled to take place at CWI 22nd Annual General Meeting on 11th April 2021,” Hope Ended. (Sportsmax)