Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Biden team says US won’t lift COVID travel ban after Trump order

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
January 19, 2021
in Global
The US will require negative COVID-19 tests from all international travellers from January 26, but the Biden administration says it will not lift bans on people arriving from much of Europe and Brazil [File: Mario Tama/Getty Images via AFP]

The US will require negative COVID-19 tests from all international travellers from January 26, but the Biden administration says it will not lift bans on people arriving from much of Europe and Brazil [File: Mario Tama/Getty Images via AFP]

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The US will require negative COVID-19 tests from all international travellers from January 26, but the Biden administration says it will not lift bans on people arriving from much of Europe and Brazil [File: Mario Tama/Getty Images via AFP]
Spokeswoman for president-elect who takes office on January 20 says controls on Europe, Brazil arrivals will remain in place.

Aljazeera – US President-elect Joe Biden’s spokeswoman quickly dismissed Donald Trump’s announcement on Monday that a COVID-19 ban on travellers arriving from much of Europe and Brazil would be lifted next week, stressing the incoming administration was listening to medical advice.
The duelling statements underline the fractious transition of power just 48 hours ahead of Biden’s inauguration in Washington, DC.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

“On the advice of our medical team, the Administration does not intend to lift these restrictions on 1/26,” Jen Psaki, Biden’s press secretary, tweeted on Monday.
“In fact, we plan to strengthen public health measures around international travel in order to further mitigate the spread of COVID-19.”

“With the pandemic worsening and more contagious variants emerging around the world, this is not the time to be lifting restrictions on international travel,” she added.
Trump signed the order lifting the restrictions he imposed in mid-March last year after securing support from coronavirus task force members and public health officials.

Until Biden acts, Trump’s order ends restrictions the same day that new rules requiring a negative COVID-19 test take effect for all international visitors to the US.

The restrictions barred the entry of nearly all non-US citizens who had spent time in Brazil, the United Kingdom, Ireland and the 26 countries of the Schengen area in Europe that allow travel across open borders during the previous 14 days.

Since then new variants of the virus have emerged, including one in Brazil and one in the UK, that are significantly more infectious.

Trump has for months refused to accept the outcome of the November 3 election and denied Biden’s team access to funds and resources. Breaking with tradition, he has also not met Biden.

Trump is also set to become the first outgoing president in 152 years not to attend his successor’s inauguration ceremony.

The US has recorded more than 24 million cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began and has the world’s highest death toll for the virus, with nearly 400,000 people dead.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
President-elect Joe Biden waves to reporters as walks out of The Queen theater Monday, Jan. 18, 2021, in Wilmington, Del. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Joe Biden to propose 8-year citizenship path for immigrants


EDITOR'S PICK

Prime Minister of Barbados, Mia Amor Mottley Addresses 79th Session of General Assembly Debate | UN Photo

Mottley Calls for Action With Slavery Reparations Manifesto

June 19, 2026
Sherod Duncan MP (APNU) delivering his presentation on the 2026 Budget in the National Assembly

Duncan Tears into 2026 Budget, Says Trillions Spent but Housing, Democracy in Decline

February 5, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Fatally Stabbed

December 5, 2025
Carlotta John, owner of Children R Us, using the HerVenture app

Empowering Women in Guyana: One in 25 Use HerVenture App to Start and Build Businesses

August 25, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice