Saturday, August 22, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

 Fire flattens WCB house

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
December 12, 2020
in News
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

…four homeless, damage estimated in millions of dollars

By Clifford Stanley

Fire of unknown origin destroyed a  three bedroom house at Paradise Village West Cost Berbice early Saturday morning leaving damage estimated in millions  of dollars and  four people homeless.
Eyewitnesses said the  fire at Lot 22 started around 07:45 hrs and by 08:15 hrs the wooden and concrete house had been completely  gutted.

READ ALSO

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

Homeless are proprietor  Mrs Desa Melville a businesswoman and  another  adult and two children ages eight and three years old.
The two children were the only occupants at the time of the blaze  and luckily barely managed to escape unhurt.
Ms Melville who runs a business in another building in front of her home was in her premises.
The other adult was at work.

Reports are that the three -year old was under the building at the time the fire started while the eight year-old was in a bedroom upstairs.

The eight -year -old told neighbours that she felt a heat  in the house and on investigating saw the back portion on fire.
She managed to run out of the building moments before the blaze took hold.
The three-year -old meantime darted to safety to the building in front.
Residents said that the response of the fire service was noticeably poor.

 

“The fire service is located at Onverwagt  WCB about a ten minutes drive a way.This started as a small blaze and had they responded immediately  the building could have been saved,” one resident said.

“It took some time to get them even to answer the call,” she said.
She added however that the firemen were able to contain the blaze to one building and also saved another neighbouring house  which had been threatened  by the intense heat.

Residents formed a bucket brigade but had to withdraw after the heat from the burning building became too intense for them to operate safely.

Mrs. Melville bemoaning her loss said that the house had been renovated less than two years ago at a cost of millions of dollars.
“It was fully furnished as well. We couldn’t save anything” she said ,adding that she was thankful that the two children in the home, had manage to escape without injury.”

The West Berbice Fire Police are investigating the disastrous blaze.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

L-R Then Region 10 Regional Chairman Sharma Solomon and then Prime  Minister Sam Hinds signing the Agreement- August 21, 2012
News

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Fourteen years after the people of Linden staged a 33-day protest that forced the Government to reverse a controversial electricity...

Read moreDetails
Sharma Solomon MP (APNU)
News

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

by Admin
August 21, 2026

More than two centuries after thousands of enslaved Africans rose against the brutal plantation system in Demerara, the legacy of...

Read moreDetails
News

GRSI Makes Aviation History, Opens New Lifeline to Guyana’s Hinterland

by Admin
August 21, 2026

A new chapter has opened in Guyana’s aviation history with Guyana Rotorcraft Services Inc. (GRSI) becoming the first domestic aviation...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

A Review of David Granger’s The Defence of the New River.


EDITOR'S PICK

Twitter Photo

East Bank Demerara Road Improvement (Good Success to Timehri)

April 16, 2024
Dwayne Tottleben. GoFundMe

A federal prisoner was shot dead in Florida in rare gunfire behind bars

October 22, 2025

JOSEPH KEEPS WEST INDIES IN THE FIGHT AFTER MARKHAM CENTURY LIFTS PROTEAS

March 1, 2023
Women Diplomats (United Nations photo)

Women Diplomats Highlight Culture and Leadership

June 27, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice