Sunday, August 23, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Give back the lands or face penalties

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
November 9, 2020
in News
PPP General Secretary, Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo

PPP General Secretary, Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo

…Jagdeo says to companies that received lands post no-confidence motion

Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo said on Friday that companies or persons who were vested State lands by the National Industrial and Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL) after the no-confidence motion against APNU+AFC will escape penalties if they relinquish these lands back to the State.

The Vice President told the media that several have already opted to do so but some others remain obstinate. He said that the intention of the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) Government is not to go after the innocent, however, these individuals who participated in the transactions should have known better.

READ ALSO

Shot Rings Out Near President’s Office, Suspected Warhead Recovered

Guyana’s Oil Wealth Must Create Real Opportunities for Young People- APNU

“The Government has had almost a benign attitude to people who were forewarned in that period, like on the East Coast lands, that they should not conclude deals with a Government that had fallen through a no-confidence motion, especially after the elections were held, after the APNU lost the elections,” he said, adding, however:

“People have an option now, those who received the land and are prepared to give it up – the large tracts of land – we promised people that we will take back because they were done illegally. Those individuals have a pathway, they don’t have to worry about criminal actions being taken against them. They don’t have to worry, that is those individuals who voluntarily give back the land.”

The companies previously listed as involved included BK Marine Inc. (Brian Tiwari); American Marine Services Inc. (Hareshnarine Sugrim); Cardiology Services Inc. (Dr. Mahendra Carpen); Guyana Oil Company Limited (Renatha Exeter, Company CEO); Supergraphics (Eton Cordis); Premier Sales and Services (Danley Major); Navigant Builders Inc. (Danny Sawh) and Caribbean Marketing Enterprise Inc. (Edmon Braithwaite).

However, the Village Voice last reported that six of these companies offered to surrender their plots. Jagdeo said: “There are others who are refusing to do so, a few, and the guys, the architects are not going to get away that easily.” He said that those who relinquish the lands, may eventually have a pathway to regaining some of the lands through a new process.

On the contrary, the Vice President said that several persons in NICIL along with former Finance Minister, Winston Jordan, will “all be made to pay for what they did.” What they did, according to Attorney General (AG), Anil Nandlall was allegedly vested State lands to several companies without full payment and after the passage of the no-confidence motion.

The AG has announced that he will commence civil proceedings against Jordan and also fired former head of the Special Purposes Unit (SPU), Colvin Heath-London for allegedly being involved in “flagrant illegalities”.

In response, Jordan said that the actions of the AG seem to be designed to tarnish his character. He assured the public that he performed his duties in compliance with the oath of office and to the best of his abilities. On Friday, Jagdeo counterclaimed that the lands were vested without Cabinet approval.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Office of the President
News

Shot Rings Out Near President’s Office, Suspected Warhead Recovered

by Admin
August 22, 2026

Police have launched an investigation into a late-night gunfire incident near the Office of the President after a vehicle belonging...

Read moreDetails
Michael Richmond
News

Guyana’s Oil Wealth Must Create Real Opportunities for Young People- APNU

by Admin
August 22, 2026

The A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) has raised concerns about the economic prospects of young Guyanese, questioning whether the...

Read moreDetails
President Irfaan Ali- May 22, 2026 press conference (screengrab)
News

President Ali Coming After Social Media Users as Govt Considers New Laws

by Admin
August 22, 2026

President Irfaan Ali has signalled that his administration is considering tougher legal measures against social media users, warning that Guyana...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
The Infectious Disease Hospital

Sanitation worker dies after lift collapses at COVID Hospital


EDITOR'S PICK

President Irfaan Ali and Prime Minister Mia Mottley 

President Ali congratulates Prime Minister Mottley on second term victory

January 20, 2022
Dr. Henry Jeffrey

“Guyana a ‘criminal enterprise’ state”

June 16, 2024
President Joe Biden signs a series of executive orders on health care, in the Oval Office of the White House, Thursday, Jan. 28, 2021, in Washington. The Democratic push to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour has emerged as an early flash point in the push for a $1.9 trillion COVID relief package, providing an early test of President Joe Biden's ability to bridge Washington's partisan divide in pursuing his first major legislative victory. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Biden, Democrats hit gas on push for $15 minimum wage

January 30, 2021

China rejects UK report concerning Hong Kong

April 16, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice