Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Caribbean sugar body concerned about undermining of CSME

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
November 6, 2020
in News
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Sugar Association of the Caribbean (SAC)  has registered its concerns about continued undermining of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME) for sugar.

READ ALSO

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

The body met last month and in a statement said the despite the Council for Trade and Economic Development (COTED) agreement in 2019 to tighten compliance with the Common External Tariff (CET) and the systems that govern it, individual companies continue to over-estimate their requirements for imported extra regional, CET-free sugar.

According to SAC in November 2019, COTED mandated the Community to introduce a monitoring mechanism to tighten control of sugar imports. So far, this has not materialised. In recent months, exaggerated requests for CET waivers under the safeguard mechanism indicate scant regard has been paid to the political sentiments expressed by COTED. In one recent case, a single manufacturer has sought permission to import around half of their country’s national annual demand.

The situation regarding extra regional imports of brown sugar in contravention of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas rules has resulted in a legal challenge by Belize in the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), a move that SAC and its members have supported.

SAC Chairman R. Karl James said, “Sugar industries across the Caribbean are investing to meet regional demand for sugar. It is imperative the regulatory system to support CARICOM businesses steps up to incentivise that investment. This will lead to improved regional food security and a resurgent agro economy in the Caribbean – never more important than now facing the impacts of COVID-19 – while supporting hundreds of thousands of Caribbean livelihoods. It is ridiculous to import most of our sugar from outside the region, when Caribbean sugar is under-utilised at home”.

SAC announced that regional production for 2021 is likely to exceed 400,000 Metric Tons (MT) of sugar, far in excess of total regional demand of 280,000 MT. Yet traditionally only a quarter of this is utilised in the region. Sugar industries are investing to ensure that high quality, food-grade sugar is available for Caribbean products and to ensure that the regulatory mechanisms designed to support Caribbean business work for sugar as they do for other products.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

L-R Then Region 10 Regional Chairman Sharma Solomon and then Prime  Minister Sam Hinds signing the Agreement- August 21, 2012
News

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Fourteen years after the people of Linden staged a 33-day protest that forced the Government to reverse a controversial electricity...

Read moreDetails
Sharma Solomon MP (APNU)
News

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

by Admin
August 21, 2026

More than two centuries after thousands of enslaved Africans rose against the brutal plantation system in Demerara, the legacy of...

Read moreDetails
News

GRSI Makes Aviation History, Opens New Lifeline to Guyana’s Hinterland

by Admin
August 21, 2026

A new chapter has opened in Guyana’s aviation history with Guyana Rotorcraft Services Inc. (GRSI) becoming the first domestic aviation...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

GGMC Company Secretary shot by identifiable man at Montrose, ECD


EDITOR'S PICK

AFC Chair Mrs. Cathy Hughes M.P

Guyana’s decline in press freedom disappointing but not surprising- Hughes

May 7, 2023

WORD OF THE DAY: LUCID

September 27, 2024

Covid: Delta variant patients twice as likely to need hospital care 

August 29, 2021
GTT CEO, Damian Blackburn and other officials

GTT throws support behind the HerVenture app

December 19, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice