Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Govt commits $600M to help pay wages for sugar workers 

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
August 24, 2020
in News
Sugar workers are guaranteed wages for the remainder of the year thanks to a government bailout

Sugar workers are guaranteed wages for the remainder of the year thanks to a government bailout

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Sugar workers are guaranteed wages for the remainder of the year thanks to a government bailout

The Government will give $600 Million to the struggling Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) to assist with wages and salaries for employees.

Minister of Agriculture, Zulfikar Mustapha on Sunday made the announcement during an interview  with the Department of Public Information. He said that a sum of $120 Million is required weekly to fulfil the payments of salaries.

READ ALSO

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

Previously, it was reported that due to the financial state of the entity, the Corporation will not be in a position to pay wages from the week ending 21 August.

Minister Mustapha on Sunday said the move by the PPP/C Administration is in keeping with commitments made in its manifesto to revamp and reopen those sugar estates which were closed under the previous APNU/AFC government.

The Agri-Minister confirmed that the sum was among others approved by Cabinet and has received the green light by both President and Vice President of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana, His Excellency, Dr. Mohamed Irfaan Ali and Bharrat Jagdeo respectively.

Minister Mustapha also relayed that as part of its capital works, GuySuCo will be required to submit a report which will take into consideration the reopening of closed sugar estates.

Additionally, immediate infrastructural works are expected to begin at the Mahaica Mahaicony Abary-Agricultural Development Authority (MMA-ADA) Scheme.

Following a proposal made by the subject Minister, Cabinet has approved $90 Million to aid in this regard.
On August 15, Minister Mustapha along with a team from several Agriculture Agencies visited the Mahaica-Berbice district, where he engaged several farmers. (DPI)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

The Bartica Solar Farm in Daag Point, Region Seven
News

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More communities are expected to benefit from reductions in electricity costs in the coming months, as the government moves ahead...

Read moreDetails
Residents of Melanie and surrounding communities gathered at the engagement
News

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 250 families in Melanie and surrounding communities are expected to secure formal titles to the land they currently...

Read moreDetails
News

WIN–APNU Rift Deepens as Hinds Blasts Mohamed’s Local Gov’t Decision

by Admin
August 20, 2026

A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Member of Parliament and Working People’s Alliance (WPA) co-leader Dr. David Hinds has sharply...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
The land that was identified for the model farm

PPP seeking to scrap model farm initiative in WCB


EDITOR'S PICK

NAREI assures Ramlochan organisation has healthy relationship with Mr. Gilliard

March 15, 2023
Minister of Local Government and Regional Development, Nigel Dharamlall hands over a food hamper to a resident of Dagg Point. (DPI photo)

Dharamlall gives Dagg Point green light to swear in CDC leaders

March 24, 2021
President Irfaan Ali addressing the audience

CARICOM’s 25% reduction in food imports by 2025 a necessity– President Ali

April 10, 2022
China Daily Photo

Xi, Malaysia’s king exchange congratulations on 50th anniversary of diplomatic ties

May 31, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice