Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

St. Kitts receives first group of US deportees from Jamaica, Belize

Admin by Admin
May 20, 2026
in Regional
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Government of St Kitts and Nevis has confirmed the arrival of the first group of third-country nationals transferred from the United States under a bilateral migration agreement — a move likely to intensify debate across the Caribbean.

In a statement issued Tuesday, officials in St Kitts and Nevis said three CARICOM nationals from Jamaica and Belize were scheduled to arrive in the Federation on May 19 from the United States.

READ ALSO

Senate President Challenges Young Senators to Help Shape Antigua and Barbuda’s Future

Belize reports 8 measles cases, urges public vigilance amid regional health alert

The transfer is being carried out under a Memorandum of Understanding signed between the governments of St Kitts and Nevis and the United States concerning the relocation of certain third-country nationals who are citizens of CARICOM member states

Authorities stressed that the individuals are not criminal convicts and said the transfers relate to immigration violations in the United States.

“In accordance with the arrangements outlined in the MOU, at no cost to the Government of Saint Kitts and Nevis, the individuals will be processed through the established immigration and security procedures of Saint Kitts and Nevis and will be granted the immigration status and legal accommodation ordinarily applicable to CARICOM nationals within the Federation,” the government statement said.

Officials did not disclose where the individuals would be housed or provide details about the logistical arrangements surrounding their stay in the Federation.

The agreement forms part of a broader U.S. strategy involving so-called “third-country national” arrangements, under which countries agree to temporarily receive migrants or deportees whom Washington says it cannot easily repatriate directly to their home countries.

Several Caribbean governments that have entered similar arrangements with the United States have emphasized that the deals apply only to CARICOM nationals without serious criminal records and that the U.S. government is covering associated costs.

Earlier this year, the government confirmed that St Kitts and Nevis would join a growing number of CARICOM countries agreeing to accept deportees from the United States under similar arrangements. However, Prime Minister Terrance Drew said only CARICOM nationals without criminal records would be accepted.

“St. Kitts and Nevis has negotiated and entered into an MOU with the United States of America for the potential transfer of certain third-country nationals,” Drew said during a government roundtable discussion earlier this year.

The prime minister also stated that the Federation would not accept deportees from Haiti.

Other Caribbean countries have also publicly acknowledged similar discussions or agreements with Washington. The government of Antigua and Barbuda has confirmed talks with the United States regarding a non-binding memorandum involving third-country nationals and refugees, while insisting there is no “secret or binding agreement” currently in operation.

Dominica has also been identified among CARICOM states participating in the programme, with Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit previously indicating that concerns regarding violent offenders and national security had been raised with U.S. officials.

Meanwhile, Guyana has reportedly held negotiations with Washington, although no finalized agreement had been publicly confirmed.

Beyond the Caribbean, similar arrangements have also reportedly been pursued by the United States with countries including Costa Rica, Panama, Sierra Leone, Equatorial Guinea and Eswatini as part of Washington’s broader migration enforcement strategy.

The government of St Kitts and Nevis said all relevant national security, immigration, and law enforcement agencies had been involved in the process and noted that U.S. authorities provided biographical, medical, and criminal background information on the individuals before their transfer.

According to officials, the individuals are free to return to their home countries at their own discretion, subject to the immigration laws of those countries.

“The Government of St. Kitts and Nevis remains committed to the responsible management of migration matters, adherence to international obligations, and the maintenance of public safety and national security,” the statement added.

The issue has sparked growing political and public debate across the region, with critics questioning the transparency and long-term implications of such agreements, while governments involved have defended them as controlled migration and security arrangements carried out in cooperation with the United States.

caribbeannationalweekly.com

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Regional

Senate President Challenges Young Senators to Help Shape Antigua and Barbuda’s Future

by Admin
May 20, 2026

Senate President Alincia Williams-Grant on Wednesday challenged senators to approach their appointments with discipline, preparation and a commitment to public...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Belize reports 8 measles cases, urges public vigilance amid regional health alert

by Admin
May 20, 2026

The Belize Ministry of Health and Wellness is urging residents to remain vigilant following a rise in measles cases linked to international...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Invest Barbados Signs Partnership Agreement with Caribbean Economic Forum 2026

by Admin
May 20, 2026

Invest Barbados, the island nation's official investment promotion agency, has signed a formal Partnership Agreement with the Caribbean Economic Forum...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Senate President Challenges Young Senators to Help Shape Antigua and Barbuda’s Future


EDITOR'S PICK

ERC 2026 Easter Message: Reaffirming A Spirit of Hope, Renewal, and National Harmony

April 6, 2026

WORD OF THE DAY: DEMAGOGUE

April 30, 2024
He Yadong, a spokesperson of China's Ministry of Commerce Photo: Yin Yeping/GT

Recent visits by multiple foreign leaders to China open up broad space for economic, trade cooperation: MOFCOM

February 5, 2026
House Rules Committee Chairman Jim McGovern, D-Mass., right, leads a partially-virtual hearing to consider a resolution calling on Vice President Mike Pence to activate the 25th Amendment to declare President Donald Trump incapable of executing the duties of his office, at the Capitol in Washington, Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2021. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., is calling for swift congressional action to rein in President Donald Trump after inciting last week's deadly assault on the U.S. Capitol. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Trump on verge of 2nd impeachment after Capitol siege

January 13, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice