Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

Dominica to revise Cuban medical programme amid US criticism

Admin by Admin
March 2, 2026
in Regional
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Government of Dominica says it will soon announce changes to its long-standing Cuban medical workers programme, while reaffirming its gratitude for Havana’s decades of support to the island’s health sector.

The disclosure comes amid heightened criticism from the United States Embassy in Barbados, which last month described Cuba’s overseas “medical missions” as a system rooted in “coercion and abuse.”

READ ALSO

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

In a statement, the embassy alleged that Cuban medical workers face withheld wages, confiscated passports, forced family separation, restrictions on movement, intimidation, excessive working hours and unsafe conditions. It also accused the Cuban government of profiting from the programme.

Washington has intensified its criticism of the health brigade initiative, arguing that Havana “rents out” medical professionals at high cost while retaining the bulk of the earnings.

Speaking in Parliament, Dominica’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Dr Vince Henderson, acknowledged that adjustments are forthcoming.

“We recognise that we have to make some changes to the medical workers programme and we are grateful that the Government of Cuba has graciously agreed to work with us as we seek to meet new requirements for the Cuban health workers,” he said.

Henderson underscored the island’s longstanding ties with Cuba, noting that the partnership spans more than 30 years.

“I want to take the opportunity to thank the Republic of Cuba for over 30 years of support to the Government and people of the Commonwealth of Dominica through the provision of medical workers,” he told legislators.

According to Henderson, there are currently about 65 Cuban medical personnel serving in Dominica, including physicians, specialists, nurses and technicians.

He also highlighted Cuba’s role in training Dominican nationals who later returned home after graduating from Cuban medical schools, as well as Havana’s assistance in establishing the country’s first intensive care unit and diagnostic centre.

“We will always be grateful to the Republic of Cuba; they have been true friends through thick and thin,” Henderson said, adding that support continued even during periods when Cuba faced its own resource constraints.

The government has not yet detailed the specific changes planned for the programme but indicated that further announcements will be made soon.

caribbeannationalweekly.com

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

St. Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) in Santa Cruz, St. Elizabeth, suffered extensive structural damage following the passage of the powerful Category 5 Hurricane Melissa.
Regional

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The Ministry of Education, Skills, Youth and Information is preparing contingency plans, including rotating students on alternate days, for schools...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Former Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago government to disclose how many nationals have...

Read moreDetails
From left: Newly appointed Bank of Jamaica Governor, Dr Brian Langrin and outgoing BOJ Governor Richard Byles.
Regional

JAMAICA | BOJ Governor Byles Bows Out. Langrin Takes Over on Wednesday.

by Admin
August 18, 2026

After seven years that carried Jamaica from a pandemic to an 11.8 per cent price spike and back inside the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Golden Ceilings and Hidden Fault Lines: What Guyana Must Weigh Before Embracing Agro Giants


EDITOR'S PICK

St. Kitts and Nevis Prime Minister Dr. Terrance Drew Stands Willing to Revoke Citizenship By Investment Grants

May 28, 2024

Day 8 of Strike- Teachers remain resolute, away from classrooms, on the picket line

February 14, 2024
Dr. Mark Devonish

Skin not kin

August 14, 2022

Juliet Griffith Daycare supports Pinktober with a ‘Pink-a-thon’

October 28, 2022

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice