Monday, August 17, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

High Court strikes down section of Fugitive Offenders Act as unconstitutional

Admin by Admin
February 25, 2026
in News
L-R Nazar "Shell" Mohamed, Azruddin Mohamed and Hana Mohamed  (Kaieteur News photo)

L-R Nazar "Shell" Mohamed, Azruddin Mohamed and Hana Mohamed (Kaieteur News photo)

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A High Court decision striking down a provision of Guyana’s Fugitive Offenders Act as unconstitutional has been welcomed by the We Invest in Nationhood (WIN) party, which on Tuesday issued a statement addressing the ruling in relation to its leader and Opposition Leader Azruddin Mohamed and his father, Nazar Mohamed, both of whom are contesting extradition proceedings to the United States.

According to the WIN release, acting Chief Justice Navindra Singh ruled on February 24, 2026, that section 8(3B)(b) of the Act is unconstitutional because it improperly directs how courts must interpret treaty obligations. In his judgment, the Chief Justice stated: “The provision compels decision-makers to act on a legal fiction. It compels Courts to disregard the absence of a real and enforceable safeguard and to assume the existence of a protection that does not, in law or fact, bind the requesting state.”

READ ALSO

A Rooftop System for Every Guyanese Household Costs Between US$486 Million and US$1.27 Billion. The Gas Programme Costs at Least US$1 Billion.

Pastor Collins urges stronger gambling regulation to protect vulnerable communities

Justice Singh emphasised that the Constitution protects judicial independence and the separation of powers, noting that while Parliament may legislate domestic consequences of treaties, it cannot dictate how courts interpret them. He ruled that section 8(3B)(b) “does not merely alter domestic rights and obligations” but commands courts and the executive to construe a treaty as containing provisions it does not include.

“Section 8 (3B) (b) crosses a constitutional line. Parliament cannot command Courts to declare a Treaty to mean what it does not mean since that is an intrusion into the judicature’s constitutional function,” the Chief Justice said, concluding that the provision is inconsistent with the Constitution and therefore unconstitutional.

The WIN statement said the ruling supports arguments advanced by attorneys for the Mohameds since October 2025 before Magistrate Judy Latchman, who had previously characterised the submissions as “frivolous and vexatious.” Justice Singh, however, granted the order sought by the Mohameds and declared the provision unconstitutional.

The Mohameds are represented in the extradition and related constitutional proceedings by a legal team comprising **Roysdale Forde, SC, Siand Dhurjon and Bernard DaSilva, who have advanced arguments challenging the legality and constitutionality of aspects of the Fugitive Offenders Act.

While the court upheld much of the challenge, it rejected arguments against other sections of the Act. Section 8(3A)(a), which was argued to allow the Minister to bypass the courts and order extradition, was interpreted as applying to the period prior to the issuance of an Authority to Proceed (ATP). The Chief Justice said the provision authorises the Minister to issue an ATP after receiving an extradition request.

The court also declined to rely on the Full Court decision in the Barry Dataram case. Justice Singh stated that “quite frankly the reasoning [of the Full Court] appears to have been shaped to reach a predetermined conclusion, [as opposed to] the conclusion emerging from principled analysis of the Court of Appeal.” He further described it as “unacceptably improper” for the Full Court to evade the doctrine of stare decisis by re-characterising a legal determination as a finding of fact, concluding that the ruling could not properly stand or bind his court.

According to the WIN release, counsel for the Mohameds intend to appeal aspects of the judgment and will seek an urgent hearing.

The case forms part of ongoing extradition proceedings involving the Mohameds, with the WIN party maintaining that the constitutional issues raised are central to the legal challenge now before the courts.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

News

A Rooftop System for Every Guyanese Household Costs Between US$486 Million and US$1.27 Billion. The Gas Programme Costs at Least US$1 Billion.

by Admin
August 17, 2026

By LCN Newsroom — Energy and Trade La Caribeña News · 17 August 2026 In short. Guyana has 271,946 households on...

Read moreDetails
News

Pastor Collins urges stronger gambling regulation to protect vulnerable communities

by Admin
August 17, 2026

Pastor Daniel Collins of Helping Others Ministry is backing stronger regulation of Guyana’s gambling industry, warning that easier access to...

Read moreDetails
Minister of Human Services and Social Security  Dr. Vindhya Persaud
News

Online counselling platform for MV Barima-affected families to be launched

by Admin
August 17, 2026

The Ministry of Human Services and Social Security will this week launch EMBRACE, a national online counselling platform, as part...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrives before President Donald Trump delivers the State of the Union address to a joint session of Congress in the House chamber at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

Rubio is set for talks in St. Kitts with Caribbean leaders unsettled by Trump policies


EDITOR'S PICK

PNCR Condemns PPP Over Wismar Bridge Toll Removal, Linden’s Economic Struggles

March 29, 2025
Photo: Heami Lee, Food Stylist: Emily Nabors Hall, Prop Stylist: Christine Keeley

Salmon Salad with Crispy White Beans

February 23, 2025
Orin Boston’s wife, Fiona Boston and their daughter

‘We want justice’

September 26, 2021
Some of the beneficiaries of the Speaker’s Christmas Outreach Programme

Speaker spreads Christmas cheer

December 23, 2020

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice