Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Op-ed

Wales Gas-to-Energy Is Now a 2027 Promise; How many more months of subsidies will GPL require to keep running aging diesel units in parallel, and who is covering the cost of wasted fuel?

Ratepayers deserve an honest schedule, a real tariff bridge plan, and public penalties before one more shovel is lifted.

Staff Writer by Staff Writer
February 21, 2026
in Op-ed
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Guyana’s power crisis now has a new excuse. Twelve months after President Irfaan Ali promised to slash light bills by half before the end of 2025, the flagship Wales Gas-to-Energy project has quietly slipped another eighteen months down the road, leaving families to keep paying oil-country tariffs for blackout-era service.

Project lead Winston Brassington now says the 300-megawatt plant that was supposed to be online this year will only operate at full combined-cycle capacity by mid-2027. Until then, the country will receive 228 megawatts from four simple-cycle turbines, the configuration we were told the gas project would replace.

READ ALSO

Woods Relayed, Jagdeo Dismayed; Ali Delayed

GUYANA MUST NOW CLAIM ITS FULL OIL DIVIDENDS

That admission matters because the entire case for spending US$2 billion on Wales rested on two promises: cutting residential tariffs by 50 percent and ending the cascade of nationwide outages. Neither promise survives this new timeline. The pipeline that Exxon has completed is now effectively parked offshore, waiting for a power plant that cannot accept its full 120 million cubic feet per day for at least another year and a half. Idle infrastructure accrues financing costs, and every month of delay deepens the burden Guyanese households are being asked to carry.

Meanwhile, the government is pressing ahead with Phase Two at Wales, another 300-megawatt plant and a second natural-gas-liquids facility, even though Phase One continues to slide. Five firms have been prequalified and construction is expected to begin this year. Yet no one outside of Cabinet has seen the revised schedule, penalty clauses, fuel price assumptions, or projected tariff path. We are being asked to celebrate a future 600-megawatt hub while remaining unclear about why the first 300 megawatts stalled.

The hard questions cannot be postponed until 2027. Why was the country not informed earlier that Lindsayca would only deliver the turbines in simple-cycle configuration this December? How many more months of subsidies will GPL require to keep running aging diesel units in parallel, and who is covering the cost of wasted fuel? Ministers understand that light bills are among the highest monthly expenses for working-class families. They also know GPL continues to experience widespread outages when critical transmission components fail. Yet the revised Wales milestones have not been publicly laid out.

Accountability should begin with three immediate actions.

First, publish the full updated construction schedule, cash-flow forecast, and penalty regime for both phases of Wales, and update it monthly so citizens can see what slipped and why.

Second, release a bridging energy plan that shows how tariffs will be reduced in 2024, 2025, and 2026 now that the promised 50 percent cut is no longer imminent. That plan must quantify the cost of continuing subsidies, set measurable targets for distributed solar and hinterland mini-grids, and identify the specific relief households can expect each quarter.

Third, establish an independent audit channel for all gas-to-energy contracts, including the pipeline, power plant, NGL facility, and transmission upgrades, so Parliament and the public can see who bears the cost of delays. Anything less is another promise without a delivery date.

Wales can still become the backbone of a modern grid, but only if timelines are treated as binding commitments rather than talking points. Guyanese families do not need more speeches about future prosperity. They need clarity on when their next bill will reflect the oil wealth already flowing through the economy. Until leaders release the full numbers, enforce penalties, and guarantee measurable tariff relief, the gas-to-energy project will remain what it is today: an expensive mirage at the end of a power line that keeps going dark.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

GHK Lall
Op-ed

Woods Relayed, Jagdeo Dismayed; Ali Delayed

by Admin
August 20, 2026

By GHK Lall- I see a study in contrasts.  Exxon’s CEO Darren Woods burst out of his executive suite and...

Read moreDetails
By Hon. Albert Baldeo, Community Leader & Judicial Delegate, NY, USA
Op-ed

GUYANA MUST NOW CLAIM ITS FULL OIL DIVIDENDS

by Admin
August 19, 2026

ExxonMobil’s confirmation that the Stabroek consortium recovered approximately US$55 billion in accumulated investment costs—two years ahead of schedule—marks a decisive,...

Read moreDetails
Op-ed

MV Barima: The Games the PPP Govt Plays

by Admin
August 19, 2026

By GHK Lall- One has to live here to come to grips with the PPP Govt’s ways.  When developments favor,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Maurice Bishop was released from house arrest On October 19, 1983, as a result of mass protests. He, along with several supporters, went to the army headquarters at Fort Rupert. However, the situation escalated, and later that day, Maurice Bishop, along with some of his close allies including cabinet ministers, were executed by members of the People’s Revolutionary Army said to be loyal to Bernard Cord..

GRENADA | Four Decades, No Grave: The Unresolved Mystery of Maurice Bishop's Remains


EDITOR'S PICK

Mojtaba Khamenei has largely kept a low profile and never held public officeImage: Iran state TV/AP Photo/picture alliance

Mojtaba Khamenei, son of ayatollah killed in U.S.-Israeli strikes, named Iran’s new supreme leader, state media reports

March 9, 2026

WORD OF THE DAY: INTERLOPER

June 5, 2026
Michael Sampson (Photo courtesy of Michael Sampson)

Meet Michael Sampson: Software Developer and STEM Enthusiast.

January 6, 2023
Senior Minister in the Office of the President with responsibility for finance, Dr. Ashni Singh

No tolerance for corruption’

December 17, 2020

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice