Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Donald Trump Says Second Wave of Venezuela Strikes Canceled

Admin by Admin
January 9, 2026
in Global
U.S President Donald Trump speaks during a St. Patrick’s Day event with Irish Taoiseach Micheál Martin and his wife Mary O'Shea in the East Room of the White House on March 12, 2025 in Washington,... More Kayla Bartkowski/Getty Images

U.S President Donald Trump speaks during a St. Patrick’s Day event with Irish Taoiseach Micheál Martin and his wife Mary O'Shea in the East Room of the White House on March 12, 2025 in Washington,... More Kayla Bartkowski/Getty Images

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(Newsweek)- President Donald Trump has said he is canceling a second wave of strikes on Venezuela due to the cooperation of the regime in Caracas.

Writing on Truth Social on Friday morning, Trump said the release of Venezuelan political prisoners was a “very important and smart gesture.”

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

“The U.S.A. and Venezuela are working well together, especially as it pertains to rebuilding, in a much bigger, better, and more modern form, their oil and gas infrastructure,” Trump said.

“Because of this cooperation, I have cancelled the previously expected second Wave of Attacks, which looks like it will not be needed, however, all ships will stay in place for safety and security purposes.”

It comes after at least 24 Venezuelan security officers were killed last week in a U.S. military raid, codenamed Operation Absolute, to capture President Nicolás Maduro and his wife Cilla Flores. Maduro and Flores have been indicted in the U.S. on federal drug trafficking charges, to which they have pleaded not guilty.

Newsweek contacted the White House for comment by email outside of normal business hours.

Why It Matters

Trump’s announcement comes amid severely heightened tensions between the U.S., Venezuela and other countries in Central and South America since the U.S. military operation last week.

Trump has since threatened to launch land strikes against drug cartels in Mexico, and said that the U.S. could launch a military operation in Colombia.

What To Know

Jorge Rodríguez, head of Venezuela’s National Assembly and brother of acting president Delcy Rodríguez, said that Venezuelan authorities had released a “significant number” of foreign nationals from prison on Thursday.

Trump said that the move was a sign Venezuela was “seeking peace.” The U.S. has repeatedly called for the release of political prisoners in Venezuela.

Trump has also said his administration will run Venezuela for the foreseeable future. Trump told The New York Times on Thursday that “only time will tell” how long his administration will control the country. He added that “all ships will stay in place for safety and security purposes.”

“At least 100 Billion Dollars will be invested by BIG OIL, all of whom I will be meeting with today at The White House,” Trump said.

Meanwhile, Trump’s ability to launch further attacks may soon be curtailed after the Senate voted 52-47 to advance the War Powers Resolution, which would mean the U.S. cannot be sent into armed conflict without congressional approval. Five Republicans voted with Democrats on Thursday, setting up a later vote on final passage.

What People Are Saying

White House spokesperson Anna Kelly told Newsweek previously: “The Biden administration and over 60 countries recognized Maduro’s rule as illegitimate, but only this President had the courage to hold him accountable for his crimes of killing countless Americans with illicit narcotics.”

Former National Security Adviser John Bolton told Newsweek on Wednesday: “Trump is re-legitimizing the Maduro regime. He does not understand the trust that the Venezuelan people placed in Machado, and now the opposition is being discredited by the United States itself. If the result is the same authoritarian system without the figurehead, it is going to work out very badly.”

What Happens Next

Trump said he will meet Venezuelan opposition leader Maria Corina Machado next week. “I look forward to saying hello to her,” he told Fox News.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

As U.S. Senators Resist, CARICOM Leaders Back Trump’s Venezuela Policy


EDITOR'S PICK

Police to call 27 witnesses 

March 2, 2021
CARICOM Secretary-General Dr Carla Barnet

CARICOM Secretary-General: AI, Genomics and Digital Health Will Transform Caribbean Public Health

April 23, 2026

Italian Open: Naomi Osaka loses to Jessica Pegula, Serena Williams returns

May 12, 2021

Undemocratic Seizure of City Assets Must Be Challenged

April 1, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice