Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Rwanda-backed M23 group says it will withdraw from seized Congo town after US request

Admin by Admin
December 16, 2025
in Global
Congolese civilians walk at Maendeleo market as calm returns after clashes between members of the Alliance Fleuve Congo (AFC) and the M23 Movement, who took control of Uvira from the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC), in Uvira on the shores of Lake Tanganyika, South Kivu province, Democratic Republic of the Congo, December 15, 2025. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo Purchase Licensing Rights

Congolese civilians walk at Maendeleo market as calm returns after clashes between members of the Alliance Fleuve Congo (AFC) and the M23 Movement, who took control of Uvira from the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC), in Uvira on the shores of Lake Tanganyika, South Kivu province, Democratic Republic of the Congo, December 15, 2025. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo Purchase Licensing Rights

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

READ ALSO

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

Dec 16 (Reuters) – Rwanda-backed M23 rebels have said they would withdraw from the eastern Congo town of Uvira at the request of the U.S. administration, which had criticised seizure of the town last week as a threat to mediation efforts.
The rebels entered Uvira, on the border with Burundi, less than a week after the presidents of Congo and Rwanda met with U.S. President Donald Trump in Washington and affirmed their commitment to a peace deal known as the Washington Accords.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Saturday that Rwanda’s actions in eastern Congo violated the Washington Accords and vowed to “take action to ensure promises made to the President are kept.”
Rwanda denies supporting M23 and has blamed Congolese and Burundian forces for the renewed fighting. A report by a United Nations group of experts in July said Rwanda exercised command and control over the rebels.

WITHDRAWAL A ‘UNILATERAL TRUST-BUILDING MEASURE’

Corneille Nangaa, leader of the Congo River Alliance of insurgents that includes M23, said in a post overnight on X that the rebels would withdraw.
The move was a “unilateral trust-building measure in order to give the Doha peace process the maximum chance to succeed,” he said.
M23 is not party to the Washington-mediated negotiations but has been participating in separate, parallel talks with the Congolese government, hosted by Qatar.
A civil society activist in Uvira told Reuters on Tuesday that the rebels were still there.
A rebel source said both M23 and Congolese forces would withdraw 5 km (3 miles) from Uvira to establish a buffer zone, something M23 had proposed at a press conference last week.
Congo and Burundi did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Tuesday.
M23 staged a lightning offensive in January, seizing eastern Congo’s two biggest cities in fighting that has killed thousands and displaced hundreds of thousands more.
The insurgents have since worked to establish a parallel administration in the east, potentially setting the vast Central African country up for an enduring fracture.

Reporting by Congo newsroom and Sonia Rolley in Paris; Writing by Robbie Corey-Boulet; Editing by Bernadette Baum

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Global

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Britain paid £20 million to slave owners in 1834 and not one farthing to the people they had owned. The...

Read moreDetails
Nareeta-Nandkumar (Guyana Chronicle photo)
Global

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

by Admin
August 19, 2026

A young Guyanese woman is preparing to take part in an international space initiative bringing together girls from more than...

Read moreDetails
Members of the 16th Chinese Medical Team to Nepal work at B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital in Bharatpur, central-southern Nepal. /CFP
Global

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

by Admin
August 19, 2026

For 86-year-old Dai Guogui, managing diabetes alongside heart disease as well as a history of suffering strokes was once an...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Shooting Incident Raises Questions Over Police Tactics


EDITOR'S PICK

Sometimes the Runner Stumbles …. University of Guyana’s Department of Law Acknowledges Single Outstanding Grade

October 2, 2025

Employment holds steady in Latin America and the Caribbean, but informality and inequality persist

December 21, 2025

Figueira writes cricket ombudsman about dubious register of cricket clubs in Region 10 

March 22, 2021
REO for Region Four, Juan Edghill Jr

New Region Four REO vows people centred, accountable leadership

May 25, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice