Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Trump administration to ‘aggressively’ revoke visas of Chinese students

Admin by Admin
May 29, 2025
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

BBC – President Donald Trump’s administration says it will “aggressively” revoke the visas of Chinese students studying in the US.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the move would include “those with connections to the Chinese Communist Party or studying in critical fields”.

READ ALSO

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

After UAE cuts trade ties, Iran warns Gulf countries against aiding US

Relations between Beijing and Washington have plummeted in recent months as a tit-for-tat trade war erupted between the two superpowers sparked by Trump’s tariffs.

There were an estimated 280,000 Chinese students studying in the US last year. It is not clear how many of them could be affected by the latest move.

China said it “firmly opposes” the move, and urged the US to pursue more constructive relations.

As part of the plan, criteria will also be revised to “enhance scrutiny” of future visa applicants from China and Hong Kong, Rubio added in his statement on Wednesday.

Chinese nationals used to account for the bulk of international students enrolled at American universities, though that has recently changed.

From pandemic-era restrictions to worsening relations between the two countries, their number has dropped in recent years, according to US state department data.

On Monday, Rubio, who is America’s top diplomat, also ordered US embassies around the world to stop scheduling appointments for student visas as the state department prepares to expand social media vetting of such applicants.

That move, too, was opposed by China.

Rubio said in Wednesday’s statement: “Under President Trump’s leadership, the US State Department will work with the Department of Homeland Security to aggressively revoke visas for Chinese students, including those with connections to the Chinese Communist Party or studying in critical fields.

“We will also revise visa criteria to enhance scrutiny of all future visa applications from the People’s Republic of China and Hong Kong.”

The Trump administration has already moved to deport a number of foreign students, while revoking thousands of visas for others. Many of these actions have been blocked by the courts.

It has also frozen hundreds of millions of dollars in funding for universities. The president sees some of America’s most elite institutions, such as Harvard, as too liberal and accuses them of failing to combat antisemitism on campus.

Many US universities rely on foreign students for a significant chunk of their funding – as those scholars often pay higher tuition fees.

  • Students say they ‘regret’ applying to US schools after visa changes
  • Are you a student affected by the issues in this story? Tell us here

A number of international students have been reeling from the planned visa changes.

Some told the BBC they wished they had never opted to study in the US.

“I already regret it,” said a 22-year-old master’s student from Shanghai, who did not want to be named for fear of jeopardising a visa to study at the University of Pennsylvania.

Beijing has not yet responded to the US move to revoke the visas of Chinese students specifically.

But China responded earlier on Wednesday to the Trump administration’s move to cancel student visa appointments globally.

“We urge the US side to earnestly safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of international students, including those from China,” an official was quoted as saying.

An official memo, reviewed by the BBC’s US partner CBS News, on Tuesday instructed US embassies across the world to remove all open appointments for students seeking visas, but to keep already-scheduled appointments in place.

‘Without us, Harvard is not Harvard’, says international student on visa
Watch: “Without us, Harvard is not Harvard”, says international student on visa

Last week, a judge temporarily blocked the Trump administration’s attempt to strip Harvard of its ability to enrol international students.

The ruling came after America’s oldest university filed a lawsuit against the administration. The White House accused the judge hearing the case of having a “liberal agenda”.

On Wednesday, Harvard said in a court filing that revoking its certification to host international students could inflict irreparable harm on the university.

In a declaration filed with the court motion, Harvard international office director Maureen Martin said the move was causing “significant emotional distress” for students and scholars.

She wrote that students were skipping graduation ceremonies, cancelling international travel and in some cases seeking transfer to other colleges.

Some had also reported fears of being forced to return to countries where they face active conflict or political persecution, according to the court filing.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Members of the 16th Chinese Medical Team to Nepal work at B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital in Bharatpur, central-southern Nepal. /CFP
Global

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

by Admin
August 19, 2026

For 86-year-old Dai Guogui, managing diabetes alongside heart disease as well as a history of suffering strokes was once an...

Read moreDetails
Iran has questioned Gulf countries' assistance in the US attacks on its territory. /CCTV
Global

After UAE cuts trade ties, Iran warns Gulf countries against aiding US

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Iran's armed forces warned Gulf countries against assisting the US military on Wednesday, hours after the United Arab Emirates announced...

Read moreDetails
A health worker sprays disinfectant in a freshly dug grave for the body of Jacques Lobo Dhena, who died of Ebola, in Bunia, Ituri province, eastern Congo, Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2026. (AP Photo/Dieudonne Dirole)
Global

Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst with over 2,300 dead

by Admin
August 17, 2026

BUNIA, Congo (AP) — Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak has now killed over 2,300 people and become the deadliest outbreak of the disease...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Kalyca Fraser receiving her certificate from Thomas Bach IOC president

Kalyca Fraser Successfully completes University of Delaware International Coaching Enrichment Certification Program


EDITOR'S PICK

The U.S. Department of State on May 2, 2025 in Washington, D.C. Samuel Corum/Sipa via AP Images

US Visa Applications to Change in November: What to Know

September 2, 2025
Loydicia Waldron ( Patricia Cambridge and Dr. Vibert Cambridge's photo- Source- Facebook)

Masquerade Community Mourns Drowning Deaths of Young Performer, Fiancé and Unborn Child

June 10, 2026
Minister of Labour, Joseph Hamilton delivering remarks at the graduation ceremony

163 individuals graduated from GITC with a range of technical skills

December 15, 2023

OPEN LETTER/REPORT to GPF, Minister Gail, MP; Guyana President & Cabinet, UNHRC, and ABCEU Embassies

March 19, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice