Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Brazil will require visas for US, Canadian and Australian citizens

Admin by Admin
April 8, 2025
in Global
Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva will hold talks with his US counterpart Joe Biden at the White House on February 10, 2023 [File: Agustin Marcarian/Reuters]

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva will hold talks with his US counterpart Joe Biden at the White House on February 10, 2023 [File: Agustin Marcarian/Reuters]

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

SAO PAULO (AP) — Brazil will reintroduce visa requirements Thursday for U.S., Canadian and Australian citizens, a move that ends the country’s open entry for people of those nationalities after six years.

The United States Embassy in Brasilia said Monday that Americans will still be able to request visas electronically if they visit from April 10 onward.

READ ALSO

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

Former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, an ally of U.S. President Donald Trump, scrapped the visa requirements in a 2019 decree as he sought to boost the country’s tourism industry.

That went against the South American country’s tradition of requiring visas from travelers based on the principle of reciprocity and equal treatment.

Brazil’s President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva suspended the free entry of Americans, Canadians and Australians in March of 2023, shortly after he defeated Bolsonaro. The leftist leader said then it was based on the principle of reciprocity as Brazilians still need visas for those countries.

Lula’s decision was postponed from coming into force three times as the government negotiated to get reciprocity for Brazilians, but no change was made.

Brazil’s Senate approved a bill earlier this year to keep the visa exemption for the three countries, but the mood changed in the lower house after Trump imposed a 10% tariff on Brazilian goods last week. Allies of Speaker Hugo Motta have said the bill will not come to a final vote any time soon.

Last week, Brazil’s Congress swiftly passed a reciprocity bill so the country’s executive has leeway to impose retaliation tariffs on countries that impose barriers to Brazilian goods. The bill is yet to be sanctioned by Lula.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Nareeta-Nandkumar (Guyana Chronicle photo)
Global

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

by Admin
August 19, 2026

A young Guyanese woman is preparing to take part in an international space initiative bringing together girls from more than...

Read moreDetails
Members of the 16th Chinese Medical Team to Nepal work at B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital in Bharatpur, central-southern Nepal. /CFP
Global

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

by Admin
August 19, 2026

For 86-year-old Dai Guogui, managing diabetes alongside heart disease as well as a history of suffering strokes was once an...

Read moreDetails
Iran has questioned Gulf countries' assistance in the US attacks on its territory. /CCTV
Global

After UAE cuts trade ties, Iran warns Gulf countries against aiding US

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Iran's armed forces warned Gulf countries against assisting the US military on Wednesday, hours after the United Arab Emirates announced...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Palestine, Nusierat camp, Deir al-Balah Governorate, Gaza Strip, 25 January 2025  In the photo: WFP distribution point operated at the Nusierat camp by WFP's partner, Global Communities.  With the recent surge in humanitarian assistance reaching the Gaza Strip, implementing partners have activated all distribution points to efficiently deliver life-saving food and rations to those in need. This distribution cycle marks the first time in months that WFP has been able to provide full rations, made possible by improved access and the increased flow of aid into our warehouses and distribution sites.
The ceasefire is a critical step toward enabling WFP to reach the most vulnerable with the full assistance they require. For hundreds of thousands of families, the ceasefire offers a sense of security and safety. However, food insecurity remains a pressing concern, prompting families to ensure they reach distribution points to redeem their rations.

The US ends lifesaving food aid for millions. The World Food Programme calls it a ‘death sentence’


EDITOR'S PICK

PAHO deploys experts to support Haiti during earthquake aftermath

August 15, 2021

US$100 million injected into the foreign exchange market

April 11, 2025
Imagery captured by the ESA's Sentinel-2 satellites on October 30, 2025, shows the U.S. Navy Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima maneuveri...Read More | Copernicus

Satellites Show US Warships Positioned for Possible Strikes in Venezuela

November 2, 2025
Vehicles being loaded on to the MV Canawaima  while it was in operation

Cubans at South Drain hindering restart of Guyana-Suriname ferry operation – Edghill

January 13, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice