Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Canada halts new parent and grandparent sponsorships

The immigration minister said number of sponsorships will be reduced this year

Admin by Admin
January 5, 2025
in Global
Canada Flag

Canada Flag

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(Express News Service)- Canada has temporarily halted accepting new applications for parent and grandparent permanent residency sponsorships to focus on clearing the backlog of existing cases, according to a directive issued by Immigration Minister Marc Miller.

The directive, published in the Canada Gazette, reaffirms the government’s commitment to family reunification but prioritises processing applications submitted last year. Miller noted that this decision aligns with the government’s broader immigration goals.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

To streamline operations, other immigration streams have also seen new sponsorships paused. As part of its immigration levels plan, which targets a reduced overall intake over the next three years, the government aims to admit up to 15,000 applications submitted through the family reunification program this year.

In 2024, 35,700 randomly selected candidates were invited to apply under the program, with a goal of accepting 20,500 applications.

According to the 2024 annual report on immigration tabled by Miller, there were over 40,000 parent and grandparent sponsorship applications pending as of the end of 2023. The report also highlighted that the average processing time for these applications is currently 24 months.

This pause, a government spokesman said, will enable it to manage the backlog efficiently while maintaining its commitment to family reunification.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Dr. Mark Devonish

Nurses' shortages: the catastrophic deaths of our mothers and newborns


EDITOR'S PICK

L-R Nazar "Shell" Mohamed, Azruddin Mohamed and Hana Mohamed  (Kaieteur News photo)

Appeal Court to Rule March 17 on Mohameds’ Bid to Halt Extradition

March 11, 2026
President Irfaan Ali

Civil society calls for independent oversight of extractive sector 

March 3, 2022
Thyme (Wikipedia photo)

Thyme: Common kitchen herb that can reduce inflammation, boost immune system

September 21, 2025

President Ali should not have met with Nicolás Maduro

December 24, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice