Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Exxon Is Open to Dialogue With Chevron Over Guyana, CEO Says

Admin by Admin
March 19, 2024
in Global, News
Darren Wood, EXXONMobil CEO (Bloomberg photo)

Darren Wood, EXXONMobil CEO (Bloomberg photo)

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Exxon Mobil Corp. is open to talking to Chevron Corp. about its proposed takeover of Hess Corp. as the oil giants spar over the deal’s implications for a massive offshore oil project in Guyana, Chief Executive Officer Darren Woods said in an interview.

His comments mark that first time Exxon has publicly made clear its willing to engage in discussions with Chevron over the issue after filing for arbitration at the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris.

READ ALSO

Mohamed Writes International Community Over Region 10 Governance Crisis

GWI REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO TRANSPARENT PROCUREMENT AND ACCOUNTABILITY

“The channels for dialog remain open,” Woods said. “This is a business issue — this is not a personal one. We’re not trying to stop the Chevron-Hess transaction. We’re trying to preserve the rights we have for the Guyana asset that we’ve developed.”

Exxon has accused Chevron of attempting to “circumvent” a contract that gives Woods’ company a right of first refusal over Hess’s 30% stake in Guyana’s Stabroek block. Chevron agreed to buy Hess for $53 billion last year, in large part to gain access to the Guyana project, operated and 45% owned by Exxon.

The block is one of the world’s fastest-growing major oil developments. Chevron has said it would cancel the entire Hess deal if the company’s stake was not included in transaction.

Earlier Monday, Woods said Exxon is not interested in buying the entirety of Hess. But the company wants the right to establish the value of the company’s Guyana stake, then consider the possibility of buying it if it’s successful in arbitration. The issue is unprecedented in the recent history of Big Oil because most contract disputes play out in private.

“What happened here is the deal went very public without having the necessary discussions and agreement and alignment or understanding of where the different partners were,” Woods said. “It got thrown into the public arena before the dialog really started to happen. That in my mind is the big difference between what we’re experiencing now and what we do in other areas where typically it’s happening behind the scenes.”(Bloomberg)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Leader of the Opposition Azruddin Mohamed M.P
News

Mohamed Writes International Community Over Region 10 Governance Crisis

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Opposition Leader Azruddin Mohamed has taken Guyana’s escalating Region 10 governance crisis to the international community, calling on diplomatic missions...

Read moreDetails
News

GWI REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO TRANSPARENT PROCUREMENT AND ACCOUNTABILITY

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI) has noted with concern the recent public statements and allegations seeking to cast doubt on the...

Read moreDetails
News

ERC Harmony Tour Takes Young Guyanese on a Journey Through Our Shared Heritage

by Admin
August 18, 2026

The Ethnic Relations Commission (ERC) on Monday, August 17th, convened its Harmony Tour  of Demerara, taking eighty-six (86) participants, fifty...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Toni Burnett

Miss Universe Guyana Asst. Director Toni Burnett died


EDITOR'S PICK

WORD OF THE DAY: EXTRANEOUS

October 25, 2023
Dr. Mark Devonish

Sugar is dead

August 18, 2024

Green Celebrates Fidel Castro’s Legacy and Cuba’s Global Contribution

August 15, 2026

Flemmings nets late as Reggae Boyz squeeze past Guadeloupe 

July 18, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice