Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Next Guyana Bid Round Could Include Stabroek Acreage

Admin by Admin
January 25, 2024
in News
nikkytok/Shutterstock

nikkytok/Shutterstock

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Guyana is considering holding a second open bid round as soon as this year that could include relinquished portions of the prolific Stabroek Block, according to Guyana Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo.

Exxon Mobil and partners Hess and CNOOC are contractually obligated to give up some 20% of the surface area in the 6.6 million acre (26,800 square kilometer) block as part of the license renewal process. The relinquished acreage will not include areas currently under exploration or development.

READ ALSO

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

The consortium previously received a one-year extension on their full license due to delays stemming from the Covid-19 pandemic, but will now be moving forward with the renewal process “later this year,” according to an Exxon spokeswoman.

“We are grateful for the extension,” she said. “It increases our investment confidence, helping us to continue exploration activities in Guyana to help further increase Guyana’s discovered resource.”

The Exxon-led consortium has discovered more than 11 billion barrels of oil equivalent in resources in the Stabroek Block and expects production to reach 1.2 million barrels per day by 2027. The trio started up the 220,000 b/d Payara floating production, storage and offloading (FPSO) unit — its third in the block — in November, and another three FPSOs are in the works.

“The relinquishment of the Stabroek Block, which we are hoping will be part of the next auction, will happen in October,” Jagdeo told reporters. “We have to examine whether, outside of the Stabroek Block, we can sustain an auction with the properties that we have now. These are things that we have to decide on.”

Jagdeo said that progress toward a second bid round will have to wait until the conclusion of Guyana’s current round. Bids from companies including Exxon and TotalEnergies as well as local operators were announced in September, but negotiations over awards are ongoing.

“[Bidders] have … until this end of this month to submit some additional information,” Jagdeo said. “Thereafter we should decide whether the agreements are going to be signed up or not. … We also are going to talk to our advisors to see what’s happening in the world of auctions and what’s the right timing. They’re more attuned to what’s happening globally.”

He added that Guyana’s proposed federal budget for next year — a record 1.1 trillion Guyanese dollars (US$5.2 billion) amid booming oil revenues and related economic developments — includes plans to gather data from existing seismic surveys to help inform future bid rounds.

Jagdeo said that Guyana’s government is not planning to carry out additional seismic work, at least for now. (Energy Intelligence)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

L-R Then Region 10 Regional Chairman Sharma Solomon and then Prime  Minister Sam Hinds signing the Agreement- August 21, 2012
News

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Fourteen years after the people of Linden staged a 33-day protest that forced the Government to reverse a controversial electricity...

Read moreDetails
Sharma Solomon MP (APNU)
News

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

by Admin
August 21, 2026

More than two centuries after thousands of enslaved Africans rose against the brutal plantation system in Demerara, the legacy of...

Read moreDetails
News

GRSI Makes Aviation History, Opens New Lifeline to Guyana’s Hinterland

by Admin
August 21, 2026

A new chapter has opened in Guyana’s aviation history with Guyana Rotorcraft Services Inc. (GRSI) becoming the first domestic aviation...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

JAMAICA | PNP Lauds Jamaican Film Makers, Wants Incentive Regime For Audiovisual Sub-Sector


EDITOR'S PICK

Sheanta Henry at the University of Guyana graduation

Dance Minister Sheantta Henry Receives Prestigious 25 Influential Women Leaders Award

March 22, 2024

Hinterland residents trained in foundational radio broadcasting, media communications

December 9, 2024

Search Teams Recover Seats, Wheels From Indonesia Jet Crash Site

May 26, 2022
Google Photo

Foreign leaders, heads of int’l organizations extend best wishes for Chinese New Year of Dragon

February 9, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice