Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
1 package pholourie mix
3/4 lb shrimp
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Caribbean green seasoning.
veg oil for frying (about 2 cups)
- Clean and devein the shrimp. Try to leave a little of the tail still intact as you can use it to hold the shrimp to dip into the batter. Then using a sharp pairing knife make some cuts (across) the inner curve of the shrimp so they become somewhat straight/flat and cook faster.
- Place the prepped shrimp in a bowl and season with the Caribbean green seasoning, salt and black pepper and allow to marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- As the vegetable oil heats in a deep pot, mix the batter according to the package instructions. In my case I added about 2-3 tablespoons morewater as you need the batter a bit thin to coat the shrimp. Should be a bit like pancake batter (a little thicker).
- Oil on medium flame, dip the shrimp into the batter holding them by the tail and place gently into the hot oil. Don’t allow them to make contact with each other (or they will stick) and don’t overcrowd the pan. Fry (flip) for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Do them in batches and place the ones fully cooked onto paper towels to absorb some of the excess oil. Serve warm with mango, cucumber or Tamarind chutney.