Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
Cempedak fruit is somewhat smaller in size than Jackfruit and contains soft juicy and sweet flesh covering large seeds. Ripe cempedak is yellow in colour and is sweeter than jackfruit. Its flavour is musky, aromatic and savoury that resembles durian and mango. It has many medicinal benefits owing to its high nutritional profile. It has a good amount of ascorbic acid, enzymes, bioflavonoid, minerals and vitamins.
- Heart health: Antioxidants, dietary fiber and vitamin C present in cempedak help in maintaining heart health. High potassium content helps in lowering blood pressure. It decreases cholesterol levels and reduces hypertension that makes the cardiac system healthier.
- Urinary tract infection: Attributing to its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties cempedak helps in fighting urinary tract infections.
- Eye health: Cempedak is rich in vitamin A that helps in maintaining good eye health and keeps the cornea healthy.
- Controls obesity: High dietary fiber content helps in controlling obesity and maintains overall health. Low calorie and fat content helps in weight loss also.
- Digestive health: High fiber, mineral and vitamin content maintain the digestive health. Also researches have proved Artocarpus xanthone to be gastroprotective, helping in cure of digestive tract ulcers.
- Prevent tumors and cancers: Artioindonesianidin, a compound present in its bark and fruit, may have potential to prevent tumor growth. Research is ongoing to explore its other therapeutic benefits.
- Malaria treatment: Several compounds like artioindonesianidin and heteriflavon C present in the bark and fruit of cempedak help in prevention and treatment of malaria. It can eliminate the malarial parasites to complete extent.
- Other benefits: It has been found that cempedak seeds can be ground into flour and used as an alternative to bread flour. It has more dietary fiber content, more nutrients and lower glycemic index as compared to other bread flours. Also, the decoction of cempedak roots is used to cure fever, skin diseases, asthma and diarrhea. The antioxidant nature slows the degeneration of cells and thus keeps skin healthy. Cempedak has been found to show anti-arthritic properties too. It also helps in lowering anxiety and hypertension.
Nutritional Facts of Cempedak- Per 100 gm
Energy 117.0 Kcal
Water 66.7 g
Protein 2.5 g
Fat 0.4 g
Carbohydrates 25.8 g
Fiber 3.4 g
Calcium 40.0 mg
Phosphorus 5.0 mg
Iron (Fe) 1.1 mg
Vitamin C 17.7 mg
Carotene 80 ug
Vitamin B1 0.16 mg
Vitamin B2 0.15 mg
Niacin 0.5 mg
Author – Kriti Jain, B.Tech Biotechnology; PG Diploma In Clinical Research
Article Reviewed by Dietitian Julia Samuel, M.Phil (Medindia.net)