Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

JAMAICA | Opposition Says Gov’t Back to School Transport Plan Not Credible, Ignores Rural Students

Admin by Admin
September 1, 2023
in Regional
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

KINGSTON, Jamaica. September 1, 2023: The Opposition People’s National Party says plans announced by Transport Minister Daryl Vaz for adequate transport for the new academic year lack credibility and sustainability.

In a statement today, Opposition Spokesperson on Transport and Works Mikael Phillips said that the plans by the government do not address rural students’ issues and are accompanied by a proposed fare increase, which cannot be afforded at this time.

READ ALSO

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

He said that based on his information, the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) does not yet have the 315 units available, and many of them are not reliable for daily operations.

“For the past five years, the JUTC has continued to float large rollout numbers for back-to-school but has failed to achieve them. Last year, 270 was promised, but the company failed to top 180. The 2023 numbers given by the Minister, therefore, lack credibility,” said Phillips.

The Opposition Spokesperson is also reminding the Minister that the JUTC has an exclusive franchise to provide stage carriage services in the KMTR and a requirement for 25,000 seats under the Public Passenger Transport Act (1998).

The promised 315 units will only meet 50% of the seats required for the transit-dependent persons in the KMTR. He said the Opposition is uncomfortable with the situation as it’s known that due to bad government policies, the age of the fleet and lack of spare parts, there is an above-industry normal daily of buses returning for defects.

The Opposition is therefore calling on the Minister to provide a status of his promised rural students’ transport system, including a report on the future of the Montego Bay Metrobus Company, which is now operating on 25% of its fleet.

Mr. Phillips highlighted that no mention was made of rural service provision for students, who must pay up to $500 a day to and from school. He said this is unaffordable for many rural families, and the government must act swiftly to address these issues before schools reopen. (WiredJA)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

St. Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) in Santa Cruz, St. Elizabeth, suffered extensive structural damage following the passage of the powerful Category 5 Hurricane Melissa.
Regional

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The Ministry of Education, Skills, Youth and Information is preparing contingency plans, including rotating students on alternate days, for schools...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Former Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago government to disclose how many nationals have...

Read moreDetails
From left: Newly appointed Bank of Jamaica Governor, Dr Brian Langrin and outgoing BOJ Governor Richard Byles.
Regional

JAMAICA | BOJ Governor Byles Bows Out. Langrin Takes Over on Wednesday.

by Admin
August 18, 2026

After seven years that carried Jamaica from a pandemic to an 11.8 per cent price spike and back inside the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

JAMAICA | SSL Fraud now at US$20 Million and 70 accounts - More charges to come


EDITOR'S PICK

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar

PM defends role of law enforcement amid public outcry

May 26, 2026
MV Barima (Left the 87-year-old vessel, and the capsized vessel) Vessel capsized July 18, 2026

Nation to Mourn MV Barima Victims for Three Days

July 21, 2026

A New and United Guyana (ANUG) teams up with We Invest in Nationhood (WIN)

June 30, 2025
Roysdale Forde S.C,

Guyanese must unite against the PPP/C authoritarian rule

March 27, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice