Sunday, August 23, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

Bahamas activates health protocols amid growing Ebola outbreak in Central Africa

Admin by Admin
May 25, 2026
in Regional
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Health authorities in The Bahamas implemented public health surveillance measures at Lynden Pindling International Airport after two passengers aboard a British Airways flight were found to have recently traveled to Africa before arriving in the country.

In a statement issued Friday, the Ministry of Health and Wellness said the passengers had spent approximately three weeks in the Democratic Republic of the Congo before traveling to Ethiopia and then onward to The Bahamas on a flight originating from London Heathrow Airport.

READ ALSO

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

The move comes as international health agencies respond to a worsening Ebola outbreak in Central Africa that has spread across parts of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and neighboring Uganda. The World Health Organization earlier this month declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

According to the WHO, the outbreak involves the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola virus, for which there is currently no approved vaccine. As of May 21, health officials had reported 746 suspected cases and 176 suspected deaths in the Congo, along with confirmed cases in Uganda.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has also issued a health advisory warning clinicians and travelers about the outbreak, while maintaining that the risk of international spread remains low.

Bahamian officials said that upon the aircraft’s arrival in New Providence, health teams immediately activated established protocols, including placing the two passengers in isolation. Other passengers and crew members were also assessed.

The ministry said enhanced contact tracing information was collected from all passengers and crew, while further assessments would be conducted in line with national and international health guidelines.

Officials also confirmed that infection prevention and control measures are being maintained and stressed that no confirmed infections have been identified at this time.

“Based on the information currently provided to the Ministry of Health and Wellness, the risk to the public is low,” the ministry said.

The statement added that monitoring and evaluation activities remain ongoing and updates will be provided if necessary.

caribbeannationalweekly.com

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Regional

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Ten months after Melissa, Hanover families are still without homes. A CARICOM neighbour manufactures the answer in hardwood — and...

Read moreDetails
Clare Browne
Regional

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Director of Education Clare Browne says he has mixed feelings about CXC’s decision to remove school-based assessments from several subjects...

Read moreDetails
dedicated to late mom:  Senior multimedia investigative journalist Mark Bassant.
News

Bassant, Kissoon win CBU awards

by Admin
August 21, 2026

TWO veteran journalists with the Express were among the Caribbean journalists recognised at the 37th Caribbean Broadcasting Union (CBU) Media...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Campbell sees new energy driving West Indies into Sri Lanka ODI battle


EDITOR'S PICK

Former Attorney General, Basil Williams SC

Gov’t should ensure compulsory acquisition of Ocean View is completed 

August 30, 2020
Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo

Give us a budget in three weeks

August 14, 2020
Tamesh Mohabir

The Inspiring Journey of Sir Tamesh Mohabir

October 1, 2025

How we manage these billions is what matters most

February 6, 2022

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice