Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

World Cup 2022: Almost 20,000 abusive social media posts – Fifa report

Admin by Admin
June 18, 2023
in Sports
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(BBC News) Almost 20,000 abusive social media posts were aimed at players, coaches and officials during last year’s World Cup, says a Fifa report.

Of 20 million posts scanned by moderation software developed by Fifa and players’ union Fifpro, 286,895 were hidden from public view.

READ ALSO

Shadab leads Falcons past Patriots to fourth place on the table

Pretorius, Shamar, batters give Guyana Amazon Warriors second straight win

The biggest spike in abuse came after England’s quarter-final loss to France, when Harry Kane missed a late penalty.

“The figures and findings in this report do not come as a surprise, but they are still massively concerning,” said Fifpro president David Aganzo.

“They represent a strong reminder for everyone involved in our game, and it must lead to providing preventative measures and solutions for players who are increasingly facing this type of abuse.”

The report, released on Sunday, said more than 300 people have been identified and their details will be shared with authorities “to facilitate real-world action being taken”.

It said 38% of identifiable abuse came from accounts based in Europe and 36% from South America.

Last year Fifa, world football’s governing body, partnered with Fifpro to implement a plan to protect players, coaches and officials from social media abuse during international tournaments.

They established a package of tools called the social media protection service (SMPS), which flagged posts and comments, with 19,636 during the World Cup in Qatar confirmed by the service provider as abusive, discriminatory or threatening.

These were reported to the relevant social media platforms and, in many cases, were removed.

Of the detected abusive messages, sexism made up 13.47%, homophobia 12.16% and racism 10.70%.

“Social media companies’ responses to abuse and threat published on their platforms evolved throughout the tournament but still indicated many blind spots, particularly outside of English language content,” said the report.

“Targeted individual racism was high volume with more than 300 players being targeted and a few individual high-profile players receiving a large proportion of targeted abuse across the competition.

“Homophobia was prolific and platform responses seemed blurred by the cultural differences which seemed to bar action.”

Twitter had the highest number of abusive messages reported to it with 13,105, followed by Instagram (5,370), Facebook (979), YouTube (113) and TikTok (69).

France suffered the highest number of abusive messages when grouped by country, with Brazil the second most and England third.

The Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, which starts on 20 July, will also feature SMPS support and Fifa has a confidential web-based whistleblowing system to allow people to report abuse.

“Fifa has a duty to protect football, in particular the players and the fans,” said Fifa president Gianni Infantino.

“However, Fifa also expects all authorities and social media platforms to also accept their responsibilities and support us in the fight against all forms of discrimination.”

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Shadab Khan gave the chase the impetus it needed  •  CPL T20
Sports

Shadab leads Falcons past Patriots to fourth place on the table

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Antigua and Barbuda Falcons 191 for 7 (Lewis 48, Nawaz 33, Shadab 30, Holder 2-39) beat St Kitts and Nevis Patriots 187 for...

Read moreDetails
Shamar Joseph's speed was too hot to handle for St Lucia Kings  •  CPL T20
Sports

Pretorius, Shamar, batters give Guyana Amazon Warriors second straight win

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Guyana Amazon Warriors 157 for 3 (Dindyal 50, Phillips 36, Theekshana 2-33) beat St Lucia Kings 151 for 7 (Asalanka 35, Pretorius 3-29,...

Read moreDetails
Noor Ahmad was the star bowler for St Lucia Kings when they won the title in 2024  •  CPL T20 via Getty Images
Sports

St Lucia Kings lose Noor Ahmad for CPL after ACB revokes his NOC

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Noor Ahmad, the Afghanistan left-arm wristspinner, will miss the CPL 2026 season, where he was a part of the St Lucia Kings squad, after the Afghanistan...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Dawn Hastings-Williams, MP

"Even though we are called the First People, we are Treated as the Last" - Hon. MP Dawn Williams Calls for Action to Protect Indigenous Children


EDITOR'S PICK

Top left: Guyana Ambassador to the USA, Samuel Hinds, top right: Former Chief Elections Officer, Gocool Boodoo, bottom left Political Scientist, David Hinds, bottom right: Political Analyst, Dr. Hernry Jeffrey

Sam Hinds raises red flag over Boodoo application for GECOM’s CEO post

October 31, 2021

IPL 2022 mega auction: Ishan Kishan, Deepak Chahar and Shreyas Iyer earn the biggest bucks

February 13, 2022
AFC Interim Leader and Chairman David Patterson

AFC Warns GECOM in “Crisis,” Says Not Ready for 2026 Local Government Elections

March 29, 2026
Venezuelan opposition presidential candidate Edmundo Gonzalez, on the day he cast his vote in the country's presidential election, in Caracas, Venezuela, on July 28, 2024. Leonardo Fernandez Viloria/Reuters/File

González seeks asylum in Spain amidst Venezuelan political crisis

September 9, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice