Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Ray Daggers goes on 12-hr per day fast for change in Exxon contract

Admin by Admin
May 29, 2023
in News
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Convinced that he must do everything in his power to ensure that Guyanese are given their fair share of the nation’s resources, Ray Daggers, the iconic 65-year-old man who recently walked from Crabwood Creek (Region Six) to Charity (Region Two) will from Monday, embark on a 12-hour daily fast to demand a change to the “lopsided ExxonMobil Contract”.


Daggers told Kaieteur News on Saturday that the fast will be done for 12-hours daily Monday to Friday, in front of the Office of the President. He intends to continue until the contract is changed in favour of Guyana.

READ ALSO

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

“The vision and expectation of what my leaders should do is not yet realized.This is not only about the oil contract. I believe that all the contracts in the extractive sector should be reviewed and changed for Guyana to have her fair share. Not only oil and gas but all minerals that are being extracted from our soil,”  Daggers said.

Daggers shared the perspective that Guyanese politicians have failed in the role as leaders.

“They should be there to look after the interest of the people but they are basically looking into their own interests. Somebody has to do something to bring about a change and in this case, I am the one to go in front the President’s Office every week Monday to Friday for 12 hours without food or water,” Daggers explained.

Daggers said that going without food and water and picketing the President’s Office is a sacrifice, he’s willing to make for all Guyana.

“I am inviting those, who wish to join me to come and let the President and the people of this country know we are serious about getting a change,” Daggers added while noting that no empire was built without the blood.It’s all about sacrifice and a sacrifice worth making,” Daggers continued.

Earlier this month, Daggers walked a total of 202 miles from Molesson Creek, East Corentyne Berbice Region Six to Charity on the Essequibo Coast, Region Two and completed the walk within twelve days.

The man walked not only for a change of the ExxonMobil Contract but also to educate the masses of how the oil company has been “robbing” the country of its fair share of revenue.

“They have been shafting us, inflating costs and the more educated  people are, the less they will be able to come after us and shut us up,” Daggers said as he urged Guyanese to join in the fight for a renegotiation of the oil contract.

Born in Mahaicony, Daggers lived for quite some time overseas but paid attention to key occurrences in Guyana. The man said he was inspired to undertake the walk against the Exxon contract by the unrelenting efforts by Kaieteur News Publisher, Glenn Lall, who has been fighting for a change to the Exxon contract.

“Mr. Lall has been putting forth the facts and he has done so without any help from government agencies, but with the help of his staff, and he has been providing a great service to this nation,” Daggers had said before setting out on his walk.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

The Bartica Solar Farm in Daag Point, Region Seven
News

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More communities are expected to benefit from reductions in electricity costs in the coming months, as the government moves ahead...

Read moreDetails
Residents of Melanie and surrounding communities gathered at the engagement
News

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 250 families in Melanie and surrounding communities are expected to secure formal titles to the land they currently...

Read moreDetails
News

WIN–APNU Rift Deepens as Hinds Blasts Mohamed’s Local Gov’t Decision

by Admin
August 20, 2026

A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Member of Parliament and Working People’s Alliance (WPA) co-leader Dr. David Hinds has sharply...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

WORD OF THE DAY: SACROSANCT


EDITOR'S PICK

Linden teacher robbed at gunpoint

December 3, 2020
A pharmacist doctor working on the basics of the raw materials for the drug remdesivir. Early results from a World Health Organization study suggest it has little to no effect on patients in hospital with COVID-19 [File: Amr Abdallah Dalsh/Reuters]

WHO trial finds repurposed drugs have little effect on COVID-19

October 16, 2020
Sean Blake, who runs a cookshop at Gutters received a stove and other inputs to restart her business. She is back on her feet serving up customers

UNDP reports recovery progress for Jamaican communities 6 months after Hurricane Melissa

April 28, 2026
(Front Row From Centre to Right) Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs, Hon. Mohabir Anil Nandlall; Director of the Guyana Prison Service, Mr. Nicklon Elliot; Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Institutional Advancement, Dr. Mellissa Ifill; Project Manager for the Support for the Criminal Justice System (SCJS), Indira Anandjit; (second from left) Director of the Institute for Human Resiliency, Strategic Security, and the Future (IHRSSF), Mrs. Debbie Hopkinson; along with other officials of the Guyana Prison Service and the University of Guyana, and the first cohort for the Responders Course on Mental, Neurological, and Substance Abuse Disorders (MNS)

UG Launches Course to Help Treat Mental, Neurological, and Substance Use Disorders within Guyana’s Prisons

May 26, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice