Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- ▢1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ▢1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- ▢1 can (14 ounces) condensed milk
- ▢1/2 cup evaporated milk
- ▢5 large eggs
- ▢1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ▢1/4 cup shredded coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until melted and golden brown; Pour into 8-inch pan. Working quickly, swirl melted sugar around the bottom and sides of the round pan to coat.
- Combine coconut milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, and vanilla in a blender. Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Prepare a water bath by placing the round cake pan in a 13×9 baking pan. Fill the outer dish with hot water to 1/2 inch depth.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a table knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes. Then, place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- To unmold, place the bottom of the pan on warm water for about 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan. Invert a serving plate over the round pan, hold tightly and quickly turn over. Gently, shake the mold to release.
- Top with coconut flakes for garnish. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Bake the flan in a preheated oven so that it cooks evenly all the way through.
- It’s best to mix the ingredients with a blender so that everything is well combined. You can mix it by hand but it will take a little while longer.
- Be sure to allow 2 hours for the flan to set before serving.
- 1 8-inch round baking pan
- 1 Flan Mold optional (mydominicankitchen)