Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

Brazil Congress: Lula vows to punish supporters of Bolsonaro after riot

Brazil's President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva has vowed to punish supporters of the country's ex-leader, Jair Bolsonaro, after they stormed Congress.

Admin by Admin
January 9, 2023
in Regional
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
By Frances Mao in Brasilia and Matt Murphy in London

Supporters of the ousted far-right leader also stormed the Supreme Court and surrounded the presidential palace.

But police regained control of the buildings in the capital Brasilia on Sunday evening after hours of clashes.

READ ALSO

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

Brasilia’s Civil Police said 300 people have been arrested and officials have vowed to track down others involved.

The justice minister, Flavio Dino, has said the government is seeking information on “terrorist attacks”.

On Monday morning, heavily armed officers in the city gathered outside a camp of Mr Bolsonaro’s supporters – one of a number that have been set up outside army barracks around the country since October’s election.

Meanwhile, Brasilia’s governor, Ibaneis Rocha, has been removed from his post for 90 days by the Supreme Court.

Justice Alexandre de Moraes accused him of failing to prevent the riot and of being “painfully silent” in the face of the attack. Mr Rocha has apologised for Sunday’s events.

Pro-democracy rallies are being called by leftist leaders and groups across Brazil.

  • How Trump’s allies stoked the Brazilian riot
  • How did we get here?
  • ‘Sad we’ve come to this point’

The dramatic scenes – which saw thousands of protesters clad in yellow Brazil football shirts and flags overrun police and ransack the heart of the Brazilian state – come just a week after Lula’s inauguration.

He toured the Supreme Court building on Sunday night to see the damage for himself.

The veteran left-wing leader was forced to declare emergency powers before dispatching the national guard into the capital to restore order.

He also ordered the closure of the centre of the capital – including the main avenue where governmental buildings are – for 24 hours.

Mr Dino said some 40 buses which had been used to transport protesters to the capital had been seized and he called the invasion an “absurd attempt to impose [the protesters’] will by force”.

Mr Bolsonaro has repeatedly refused to accept that he lost October’s election and last week left the country instead of taking part in inaugural ceremonies, which would have seen him hand over the iconic presidential sash.

The 67-year-old – who is believed to be in Florida – condemned the attack and denied responsibility for encouraging the rioters in a post on Twitter some six hours after violence broke out.

Speaking before he arrived in Brasilia, Lula said there was “no precedent in the history of our country” for the scenes in Brasilia and called the violence the “acts of vandals and fascists”.

And he took aim at security forces whom he accused of “incompetence, bad faith or malice” for failing to stop demonstrators accessing Congress. (BBC News)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Regional

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Ten months after Melissa, Hanover families are still without homes. A CARICOM neighbour manufactures the answer in hardwood — and...

Read moreDetails
Clare Browne
Regional

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Director of Education Clare Browne says he has mixed feelings about CXC’s decision to remove school-based assessments from several subjects...

Read moreDetails
dedicated to late mom:  Senior multimedia investigative journalist Mark Bassant.
News

Bassant, Kissoon win CBU awards

by Admin
August 21, 2026

TWO veteran journalists with the Express were among the Caribbean journalists recognised at the 37th Caribbean Broadcasting Union (CBU) Media...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
File photo shows a policeman talking with residents at a community in Harbin, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province (XINHUA)

Xi stresses efforts to modernize judicial, procuratorial, public security work


EDITOR'S PICK

U.S. Embassy American Citizen Services to Host Town Hall in Georgetown

April 4, 2024

Jamaica’s Promise is in Danger, Says Opposition Leader Mark Golding in Scathing Independence Day Message

August 6, 2025

Opposition calls on Govt to provide relief for Bareroot/Dazzell residents affected by freak storm

September 6, 2022
FILE PHOTO: A view of the White House by night in Washington, U.S., November 16, 2019. REUTERS/Yara Nardi

White House looks for a loophole in the law ensuring federal workers get paid after a shutdown

October 7, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice