Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- 3 ½ lbs pork shoulder, chopped in 2in-3in pieces
- 2 heads garlic, peeled and chopped
- 15-16 wiri wiri peppers or 7-8 scotch bonnets
- 2 bushels fresh thyme or 2-3 tbsp dried thyme
- 3 ½ – 4 cups white distilled vinegar (or enough to cover the meat)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tbsp salt
- 1 extra large glass jar, sterilized
- Sterilize jar by boiling in a pot of water for 10 minutes. Remove jar and dry with paper towel. Set aside.
- Chop meat into 2-3 inch size strips or chunks. Rinse meat and pat completely dry. After this point, use tongs to handle meat. Set aside.
- Peel and chop garlic and pepper. Gather thyme.
- Add chopped garlic, pepper, and thyme to bowl with meat. Mix with tongs.
- In sterilized jar, begin to add meat with seasonings. Layer with thyme sprigs.
- Mix sugar and salt into 1 cup water, set aside.
- Pour vinegar over meat until it is completely submerged. Add reserved 1 cup water with salt and sugar.
- Close lid tightly and gently turn jar upside down a few times to ensure vinegar solution gets in between layered meat.
- Store in cool dark place for 4-7 days. We cooked the meat on day 4.
- Drain pickled meat in colander. Remove thyme sprigs and fish meat out with a fork. You may cook as much or little of the chopped garlic/pepper seasoning as you like.
- Heat a heavy-bottom skillet add meat and allow pork fat to melt. Cook for 15 minutes or more until meat is seared and browned.
- Serve warm with bread. (Alicaspepperpot)