Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
By Mark DaCosta- The stunning revelation of a video depicting the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) appointed High Commissioner to India, Charandass Persaud, abusing female activist and academic Ms. Sonya Ghosh has understandably elicited widespread outrage.
Various individuals, groups, and organisations have condemned Persaud’s despicable and disgusting conduct. Notably, though, PPP officials — particularly female officers in the party – and the Women’s Progressive Organisation (WPO)- have maintained a deafening silence.
Since Persaud’s shocking behavior came to light, there have been loud and strident calls for the PPP regime to apologise to the victim. Such calls have not been heeded.
One notes that the victim is an elderly woman. Guyanese are understandably expressing puzzlement, disappointment, and disgust at the amazing silence and lack of any expression of empathy from women associated with the PPP regime.
Persons have expressed, via social media, their ire at the unforgivable failure of women associated with the ruling party to condemn Charandass’ vile conduct. Another Guyanese has wondered if all the female officials in the PPP have “sold their souls to the devil” to such an extent that they have lost all sense of decency.
While many may be waiting for any female PPP official to condemn Charandass, one woman told this publication that considering the record of abuse against women by officials at the highest levels of the PPP, and the usual silence of “PPP women” she would not hold her breath for any such response. The woman added that all women deserve an apology from the PPP regime. She said, “but I wouldn’t hold my breath for that either.”
The Alliance for Change, at a recent press conference, addressing the issue said the PPP government talks ad nauseum about the high incident of domestic violence plaguing the country but fails to recognise the biggest culprits are occupying the highest positions within the administration.
Going further, the party drew attention to the following:
- Allegation then Minister Bheri Ramsarran threatened to slap a rights activist.
- Allegation of Local Government Minister Kellawan Lall, in 2007, gun whipped of a citizen.
- Allegation of then President Bharrat Jagdeo not treating then first lady Varshnie Singh with respect and giving her what was legally due to her, the spectacle of locking her out of State House, and the other horrific treatment meted out to her for all Guyana and the world to see.
- Infamous audio recording of a conversation with a voice alleged to be Attorney General Anil Nandlall soliciting sexual services on behalf of his uncle as if he were a common pimp.
- Recent press report PPP councillor from RDC Region 4, Deoraj Nauth, was arrested and charged for allegedly sexually molesting a 14-year-old male student at Hope Secondary school.
- PPP/C activist, Ossie Rodgers, who slapped and gun butted Kamala Bharrat of Bath settlement in a supermarket.
- Minister of Local Government Nigel Dharamlall’s most despicable attack on female Members of Parliament when he hurled his infamous “dildo,” and attacked a female member in the opposition.