Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

WHO: COVID end ‘in sight,’ deaths at lowest since March 2020

WHO: COVID end 'in sight,' deaths at lowest since March 2020

Admin by Admin
September 16, 2022
in News
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(AP) The head of the World Health Organisation said Wednesday that the number of coronavirus deaths worldwide last week was the lowest reported in the pandemic since March 2020, marking what could be a turning point in the years-long global outbreak.

At a press briefing in Geneva, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the world has never been in a better position to stop COVID-19.

READ ALSO

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

“We are not there yet, but the end is in sight,” he said, comparing the effort to that made by a marathon runner nearing the finish line. “Now is the worst time to stop running,” he said. “Now is the time to run harder and make sure we cross the line and reap all the rewards of our hard work.”

In its weekly report on the pandemic, the UN health agency said deaths fell by 22 per cent in the past week, at just over 11,000 reported worldwide. There were 3.1 million new cases, a drop of 28 per cent, continuing a weeks-long decline in the disease in every part of the world.

Still, the WHO warned that relaxed COVID testing and surveillance in many countries means that many cases are going unnoticed. The agency issued a set of policy briefs for governments to strengthen their efforts against the coronavirus ahead of the expected winter surge of COVID-19, warning that new variants could yet undo the progress made to date.

“If we don’t take this opportunity now, we run the risk of more variants, more deaths, more disruption, and more uncertainty,” Tedros said.

The WHO reported that the omicron subvariant BA.5 continues to dominate globally and comprised nearly 90 per cent of virus samples shared with the world’s biggest public database. In recent weeks, regulatory authorities in Europe, the US and elsewhere have cleared tweaked vaccines that target both the original coronavirus and later variants including BA.5.

Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s technical lead on COVID-19, said the organisation expected future waves of the disease, but was hopeful those would not cause many deaths.

Meanwhile, in China, residents of a city in the country’s far western Xinjiang region have said they are experiencing hunger, forced quarantines and dwindling supplies of medicine and daily necessities after more than 40 days in a lockdown prompted by COVID-19.

Hundreds of posts from Ghulja riveted users of Chinese social media last week, with residents sharing videos of empty refrigerators, feverish children and people shouting from their windows.

On Monday, local police announced the arrests of six people for “spreading rumours” about the lockdown, including posts about a dead child and an alleged suicide, which they said “incited opposition” and “disrupted social order.”

Leaked directives from government offices show that workers are being ordered to avoid negative information and spread “positive energy” instead. One directed state media to film “smiling seniors” and “children having fun” in neighbourhoods emerging from the lockdown.

The government has ordered mass testing and district lockdowns in cities across China in recent weeks, from Sanya on tropical Hainan island to southwest Chengdu, to the northern port city of Dalian.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

The Bartica Solar Farm in Daag Point, Region Seven
News

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More communities are expected to benefit from reductions in electricity costs in the coming months, as the government moves ahead...

Read moreDetails
Residents of Melanie and surrounding communities gathered at the engagement
News

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 250 families in Melanie and surrounding communities are expected to secure formal titles to the land they currently...

Read moreDetails
News

WIN–APNU Rift Deepens as Hinds Blasts Mohamed’s Local Gov’t Decision

by Admin
August 20, 2026

A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Member of Parliament and Working People’s Alliance (WPA) co-leader Dr. David Hinds has sharply...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Attorney Hughes writes COI Ramson for RSS Report, taking action to protect client’s safety 


EDITOR'S PICK

ERC Youman Nabi Message 2023

September 28, 2023

Extradition Law: Justice or Political Weapon?

January 13, 2026

“The swift use of the top two institutions of force within the state against the mayor is both an act of cynicism and a blow against the democratic right to free speech and peaceful protest” – WPA

December 16, 2022
Members of the Disciplined Services (Guyana Police Force) showing they voted PPP   on August 22, 2025.

Disciplined Services Pressured to Prove PPP Votes—Ballot Secrecy in Jeopardy

August 23, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice