Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup long grain white rice
- 1 whole cinnamon stick or ½ tsp ground
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom or 2 pods
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dried cherries/raisins/nuts (optional)
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 12oz can of evaporated milk
- Condensed milk to taste (about 7oz)
- Bring 3 cups of water to a medium boil. Add washed rice, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg. Let rice boil until cooked all the way through on medium heat. If needed add more water ½ cup at a time until rice is completely cooked. This step should take about 30 minutes.
- Once rice is completely cooked, it will look soupy, add 1 cup of whole milk and reduce heat to low and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add the desired amount of cherries or raisins/currants.
- Add one 12oz can of evaporated milk. Rice mixture will look loose and watery after adding evaporated milk. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes on very low heat until mixture starts to get lumpy and thick. Stir frequently, but refrain from scraping the bottom.
- When rice mixture is thick and lumpy and has a pudding texture, add the desired amount of condensed milk to sweeten. I added 7oz which is about half of the standard sized tin. Stir and enjoy! (alicaspepperpot)