Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
- 4 ½ cups grated cassava root (about 3lbs when weighed with skin on)
- ½ cup grated coconut (optional)
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 6 tbsp softened butter, use non-dairy for vegan option
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp mixed essence or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 cups evaporated milk (2, 12oz tins) or coconut milk for vegan option
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and grate cassava and coconut, set aside in a large mixing bowl. Frozen grated coconut may be used. Thaw completely before adding.
- Add sugar, butter, spices and extract. Mix well.
- Pour milk and mix to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased pan of choice. See notes for sizes
- Bake about 60 minutes to a little over an hour.
For a thinner pone use either a 9in pan, standard aluminum foil pan, or 9×12 pan. Bake for less time, around 55-60 min. For a small pan, like 8×8, pone will be thicker and need more baking time. (Source – alicaspepperpot.com)