Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose gluten free flour Can also use all purpose wheat flour (if you are not gluten free)
1 cup of granulated sugar may swap for coconut sugar
1 cup melted coconut oil or melted butter, dairy free butter, ghee
2 tablespoons dairy free butter to brush on top of the finished cornbread
1 can creamed corn 15 ounces
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt only if using unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix cornmeal, all purpose gluten free flour, baking powder and salt (optional) together and set aside
- Melt butter and add sugar. Mix until sugar dissolves
- Whisk together eggs
- Add whisked eggs and creamed corn to the butter and sugar mixture
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Pour into a greased skillet.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Immediately after removing the cornbread from the oven brush the top with some dairy free butter or ghee to keep it deliciously moist!
- I warm my skillet up in the oven, while I am preheating the oven. Then I rub coconut oil or butter all over the inside of the skillet just before pouring the batter in.
- You can substitute all purpose gluten free flour for all purpose wheat flour if you don’t have a gluten allergy. In fact that’s how I used to make this until I figured out that gluten was not my friend.
- You can add a cup of cheddar cheese to this recipe for a cheesy cornbread. I’ve even added jalapeños, when I’m serving it with chili.
- You can also pour these into muffin tins for cornbread muffins. (Source:- metemgee.com)