Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
3 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes)
½ cup of half-n-half
¼-1/2 cup white sugar
¼-1/2 cup light brown sugar
1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon
few pinches of ground cloves
few pinches of ground ginger
few pinches of ground nutmeg (optional)
1-2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1-2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup of chopped pecans (or nut of choice)
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
few dashes of cinnamon
5 Tablespoon butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Punch a few holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Bake for 1 hour or until fork-tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Turn the oven down to 325 degrees.
- Slice the sweet potatoes and use a spoon to scrape the tender insides into a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes up with a potato masher to break up any large pieces.
- Add in the half-n-half
- Mix the sweet potato mixture thoroughly until creamy.
- Mix in the brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and butter.
- Add in the flour to thicken if needed and mix well.
- Taste the mixture to make sure it tastes good and sweet (but not to sweet since we still have that yummy sweet topping to add to it. Add in more spices to suit your taste buds if needed.)
- Add in the eggs and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into a 9X9 inch pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add in all of the topping ingredients. Stir until crumbly.
- Spoon the topping mixture evenly on top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes. (divascancook.com)