Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
A 75-year-old pensioner perished in an early morning fire at New Amsterdam, Berbice.
The elderly man, has been identified as Oscar Liddell.
The Guyana Fire Service, in a statement on Wednesday, said the man was trapped in a burning building.
It explained that at around at around 6:39hrs, it received a report of a fire at Lot 2734 Pilot Street, New Amsterdam, Berbice. Two water tenders #74 and #101 from the New Amsterdam Fire Station were immediately dispatched to the location.
The firefighters managed to extinguish the fire but not before the two storey wooden and concrete building was reduced to ashes. The building owned by John Liddell and occupied by Oscar Liddell.
Oscar Liddell died in the blaze, which destroyed the entire building.
According to investigators, a lit gas stove, which was left unattended, resulted in the fire.
The Fire Service is advising citizens to equip their homes with smoke detectors and fire extinguishers to be alerted in the event of a fire.
“Be careful when cooking and ensure stoves are turned off properly after cooking or when leaving the kitchen. Do not overload power strips or electrical circuits. Ensure electrical appliances are unplugged after use and do not leave them plugged in for prolonged periods,” the fire service urged.