‘Financially and mentally-taxing’  

Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.

– female alibi witnesses complain about the stress of visiting police stations weekly  

The six alibi witnesses who were arrested on July 2 for allegedly attempting to pervert the course of justice in relation to the Haresh Singh case are expected to return to various police stations on Wednesday, July 21, 2021.

Since being placed on $100,000 bail each, the six women were expected to report to various stations on July 14, 2021 and did so. Attorney-at-Law Nigel Hughes confirmed that they are expected to return again on Wednesday. No charges before the Court have been made against the women.

Arrested were: Tiffany Campbell, Alona Bacchus, Patricia Henry, Bibi Shaheman, Clarett Kurtizious and Amanda Wickham. Their arrest stemmed from statements they provided to the police in relation to the whereabouts of Gladston Henry Jnr. on the day that 17-year-old Haresh Singh was murdered in September 2020.

Speaking with one of the women who wished to remain anonymous, she told the Village Voice News that she and her relatives have been receiving threats over a period of time. She said that the women were told to report to the station every Wednesday morning and this has not only been mentally taxing but financially taxing as well. Apart from many having to borrow money to afford the hefty bail, initially, at least one of the women had to travel back and forth from the Berbice River to the station weekly. The women have since been told to report to the stations closest to them.


“They inconvenience we a lot. They said let us report every Wednesday morning and we ain’t lying so I don’t know why we have to report every Wednesday. They make an entry and they let you sign that you reported there. They didn’t ask we any questions the last time we went there so I don’t know if when we go back they will,” the woman said.

The women continue to stand by the information they provided about the whereabouts of Gladston Henry Jnr. on the date in question but are dejected that their statements landed them in the police lockups. “We talked the truth and we get locked up. So, right now everybody get their own opinion about what’s going on. Everybody knows it’s the truth we’re speaking, plus we have neighbours, we had people coming in…the boy went at home and they lock us up still,” the woman said.

Alibi witnesses on one of their weekly visits to the police

Leading up to the arrest of Gladston Henry Jnr., Hughes said, days prior Patrica Henry — mother of slain teen Isaiah Henry and Gladston Henry Jnr — openly criticized the Guyana Police Force (GPF) in relation to the ongoing investigation of the brutal murder of Isaiah and Joel Henry. Ranks picked up three young men from within the village — Philip Anderson, Joel Gittins and Charles Scott — in relation to the murder of Singh and subsequently issued a Wanted Bulletin for Gladston Henry Jnr. for the murder of Singh.

On June 26, Gladston Henry Jnr., in the presence of his parents, confirmed that he was at home on the morning of September 9, 2021. However, he nonetheless turned himself in to the police later that day.  Hughes told the media that on the morning that Singh was killed, Gladston Henry Jnr was at home with his mother and other relatives watching a live recording of the post mortem that was being conducted on the bodies of Isaiah and Joel Henry at the Le Repentir Funeral Home and Crematorium.

There were some 10 witnesses who stated that they could vouch that Gladston Henry Jnr was at his Number 3, West Coast Berbice home at the time Singh was killed. On Sunday, June 27, 2021, the police during a recorded interview, presented Gladston Henry Jnr with a statement signed to by Philip Anderson, which implicated both men in the murder of Singh. Hughes said that day, he reminded the police that there were several witnesses who could confirm Gladston Henry Jnr’s alibi but the police, at the time, indicated that they were awaiting instructions from their superior.

Hughes was later advised that he should take the statements from the witnesses and submit them to the police. He complied the same and, on Monday, June 28, 2020, the statements were submitted to the police. However, the police went ‘silent.’

The Police later pursued 9 of the 10 witnesses for allegedly attempting to pervert the course of justice by allegedly providing false information. Six of the nine alibi witnesses were arrested by the police having been brought in to Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Headquarters, Eve Leary, by their Attorney. The women were placed on bail after the police alleged that they attempted to pervert the course of justice.

The police said the women were subjected to video interviews and it was noted too that efforts are being made to question the remaining three persons as the investigations continue into this matter. On completion of the investigation, the file was sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions for legal advice which led to the institution of charges.

Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice

Next Post

32 COVID deaths in July thus far  

Sun Jul 18 , 2021
Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice. …curve changed from upward climb in June  For the first time since the start of the year, the COVID-19 deaths in Guyana saw a reduction in the month of June instead of the upward progression that marked January to May. For the year thus far, the number of COVID-19 related […]

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?