Police arrest driver of Region 10 chairman for alleged torching of GECOM Linden office

Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.

Roy Marshall

William Roy Marshall, the driver of the Regional Chairman of Region 10 was arrested Thursday night as part of the probe into the torching of the GECOM Linden office last year.

Family members of Marshall had initially expressed for his safety, but police have confirmed that he was properly arrested and is in custody.

Reports were that Marshall was forcefully taken from his home last night by plainclothes police ranks.

On Thursday police had said that it made a significant breakthrough in the investigation surrounding the torching of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) building at Lot 2 Burnham Drive, Wismar, Linden which occurred on July 14th, 2020.


On Monday 5th July, 2021, Teon February called ‘Nut’, age 23 years and a labourer of Lot G 5 Canvas City, Wismar Linden; and Marlon Hunter called ‘Bushy’, age 21 years and hails from 4th Street, Silver Town, Wismar Linden were arrested in relation to the said matter and other matters. Both February and Hunter will be charged with the above mentioned offence, police said in a statement.

According to the police on Wednesday at about 18:00 hours, a video interview was conducted with Teon February in relation to the torching of the GECOM building , during which he allegedly admitted being involved. Police in their statement said February told them, he was contacted by one ‘Murgie’ whose correct name is Bryon Kendall of Wismar, Linden on the night of 13th July, 2020 and Kendall  told him that he wanted him to burn the GECOM building. February said he then told his cousin Marlon Hunter to join him and on the said night sometime after 22:00 hours, Kendall picked them up in a silver Note motor car and they drove to Burnham Drive where Kendall pointed out the building to them.

February said Kendall told him that he wanted the building to burn the same night and that he would give them $150,000 on completion of the task. Kendall gave them a yellow five-gallon bottle of gas which he had in his car trunk at the time and then left. February said they hid the gas in some nearby bushes a short distance from the GECOM building and they went home.  About 12 midnight on 14th July 2020 he and his cousin Marlon left on foot. On arrival they collected the gas, entered the compound from a side gate and gained access to the GECOM building from the back door.

Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice

Next Post

‘Diary of a bad year’

Fri Jul 9 , 2021
Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice. ..Granger knocks the PPP administration’s first year in office Former President David Granger has criticised the the PPP administration’s management of the country in its first year in office, saying that their stewardship reads like a ‘ diary of a bad year’ Speaking at his weekly programme, The Public Interest, […]

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?