Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

IPL suspended after rise in Covid-19 cases among players

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
May 4, 2021
in Sports
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(BBC Sport) The Indian Premier League (IPL) has been suspended after an increase in coronavirus cases among players.

A Sunrisers Hyderabad player tested positive before Tuesday’s match against Mumbai Indians.
Monday’s match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Royal Challengers Bangalore was postponed after two KKR players tested positive.

READ ALSO

Pretorius, Shamar, batters give Guyana Amazon Warriors second straight win

St Lucia Kings lose Noor Ahmad for CPL after ACB revokes his NOC

In a statement, the IPL said it had “unanimously decided” to postpone the season after an emergency meeting.
“The BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) does not want to compromise on the safety of the players, support staff and the other participants involved in organising the IPL,” it said.

“This decision was taken keeping the safety, health and wellbeing of all the stakeholders in mind.
“These are difficult times, especially in India and while we have tried to bring in some positivity and cheer, however, it is imperative that the tournament is now suspended and everyone goes back to their families and loved ones in these trying times.
“The BCCI will do everything in its powers to arrange for the secure and safe passage of all the participants in IPL 2021.”
Wednesday’s match between Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals had earlier been called off after Chennai bowling coach Lakshmipathy Balaji tested positive.

The IPL is the richest franchise tournament in world cricket, with eight franchises representing different Indian cities in matches of 20 overs per side.

The Twenty20 tournament features global cricketing superstars purchased by the franchises at auction, including India icon Virat Kohli. Fourteen England players were signed up for the 2021 season.
Over the weekend, India recorded its highest daily coronavirus death toll since the pandemic began.
The country has recorded more than 200 million cases, and so far reported more than 222,000 deaths from the virus.
The IPL was taking place across six venues in India, with players travelling between them on charter and private flights.
Teams are staying within secure areas of hotels and resorts in the various cities and do not have contact with people outside the bubble.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has no plans to arrange a charter flight for the England contingent in India as it is the responsibility of the franchises to get the players and staff home.
When the players do leave India, they will have to be tested before departure and upon arrival in the UK, and then quarantine in a hotel for 10 days.

None of those connected to England are thought to have tested positive for Covid-19, but it is unknown whether any have been in close contact with those who have.

Cricket Australia (CA) said it was working with the BCCI to ensure the “safe accommodation and repatriation” of its players back to Australia.

Last week, Australia banned all flights from India until 15 May and CA said it “will not seek exemptions”.
Cricket South Africa said it would ensure all South African players were helped to get home.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Shamar Joseph's speed was too hot to handle for St Lucia Kings  •  CPL T20
Sports

Pretorius, Shamar, batters give Guyana Amazon Warriors second straight win

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Guyana Amazon Warriors 157 for 3 (Dindyal 50, Phillips 36, Theekshana 2-33) beat St Lucia Kings 151 for 7 (Asalanka 35, Pretorius 3-29,...

Read moreDetails
Noor Ahmad was the star bowler for St Lucia Kings when they won the title in 2024  •  CPL T20 via Getty Images
Sports

St Lucia Kings lose Noor Ahmad for CPL after ACB revokes his NOC

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Noor Ahmad, the Afghanistan left-arm wristspinner, will miss the CPL 2026 season, where he was a part of the St Lucia Kings squad, after the Afghanistan...

Read moreDetails
Sports

All-round Keemo Paul downs Patriots as Kingsmen get off the bottom

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Jamaica Kingsmen registered their second win of the season and got themselves off the bottom of the points table, beating...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Man killed at Kuru Kururu


EDITOR'S PICK

A view of the 2nd China International Supply Chain Expo at the China International Exhibition Center (Shunyi venue) in Beijing, November 24, 2024.

CISCE concludes with over 6,700 cooperation agreements signed

November 30, 2024

Overseas-based Guyanese experts should return to help develop country – CSIS

October 27, 2020
AFC Member of Parliament (MP) Ricky Ramsaroop

Budget Debate: Ramsaroop told Assembly the government values money over people’s health, safety, and the environment

February 5, 2023
Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro and Guyana's President Dr. Mohamed Irfaan Ali

GUYANA/VENEZUELA: CARICOM MUST STOP PLEADING AND ACT!

December 11, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice