Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Venezuela says unnerved by Guyana’s joint military exercises with the US

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
January 29, 2021
in News
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Even as it comes under increasing pressure from the regional and international community to desist from all acts of aggression against Guyana, Venezuela has raised concerns about  Caricom for standing with Guyana.

The Nicolas Maduro government has taken issue with Guyana for its joint military exercises being embarked upon by the Guyana Defence Force and the US Coast Guard.

READ ALSO

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

In an official statement issued on Thursday, Venezuela said it has taken note of the “unfounded accusations” made by CARICOM in relation to the decision by Bolivarian National Navy to intercept two Guyanese fishing vessels.
In a strongly worded statement, CARICOM, on Wednesday, had called on the Government of Venezuela to respect Guyana’s territorial integrity and to release, with immediate effect, the Guyanese crew and vessels in detention.

Venezuela, in a reactionary statement, contended that the fishermen were illegally fishing in its jurisdictional waters, but Guyana, in dismissing the contention as baseless, said the vessels were operating off the coast of Waini Point within Guyana’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).

While attempting to paint itself in good light, Venezuela pointed to recent collaboration between the GDF and the US Coast, which it said is a cause for concern.

“Recently, the Defence Force of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana and the Coast Guard Service of the United States of America developed joint military exercises in controversial waters, very close to the jurisdictional waters of Venezuela, in an area still to be delimited, and in which US companies have significant economic interests, particularly in the energy field,” Venezuela said while stating that CARICOM should be concerned about this development.

However, the joint exercises, which commenced earlier this month under the Shiprider Agreement, are aimed at illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing off the coast of Guyana, and well within the country’s jurisdiction.

The Spanish speaking country claimed that the CARICOM statement, which called for an end to the acts of aggression against Guyana, has done more harm than good.

“The Caribbean Community (CARICOM), with its communique, not only contributes to an ominous climate of hostility, but also supports the interest of US transnational corporations that seek to take control of an undelimited territory, based on an undesirable conflict in the region,” Venezuela said.

Though it has been called out by the regional and international community for violating International Law, Venezuela said it “will continue to advocate for respect for the principles and purposes of International Law, the promotion of a sincere dialogue to solve any situation that endangers the peace and security of the region and hopes that the sister States of CARICOM will assume a constructive conduct.”

To date, Venezuela has not indicated when it will release the 12 Guyanese fishermen and their vessels, taken into custody since last Thursday. The government and people of Guyana have condemned the actions taken by Venezuela, and continue to urge a safe return of the fishermen.

Importantly, Venezuela’s actions come weeks after the International Court of Justice (ICJ) assumed jurisdiction to adjudicate on the validity of the 1899 Arbitral Award, which is at the center of the controversy between Guyana and Venezuela.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

The Bartica Solar Farm in Daag Point, Region Seven
News

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More communities are expected to benefit from reductions in electricity costs in the coming months, as the government moves ahead...

Read moreDetails
Residents of Melanie and surrounding communities gathered at the engagement
News

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 250 families in Melanie and surrounding communities are expected to secure formal titles to the land they currently...

Read moreDetails
News

WIN–APNU Rift Deepens as Hinds Blasts Mohamed’s Local Gov’t Decision

by Admin
August 20, 2026

A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Member of Parliament and Working People’s Alliance (WPA) co-leader Dr. David Hinds has sharply...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Speaker blocks motion aimed at condemning Henry boys murders 


EDITOR'S PICK

Parade Ground

Fmr Mayor Narine Urges Halt to Parade Ground Project

May 22, 2026
Jocelyn Dow.

Jocelyn Dow: Champion of Forest Stewardship and Women’s Empowerment

February 14, 2026
In this photo taken on June 30, 2020, Zam is seen attending his trial at Iran's Revolutionary Court in Tehran [File: Ali Shirband/Mizan News Agency/AFP)

Iran executes dissident journalist Ruhollah Zam: State TV

December 12, 2020

How can you say you are promoting inclusivity and rushed through the NRF Bill

January 9, 2022

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice