Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Barbados Gov’t seeks to make amends for delays in COVID-19 test results

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
January 12, 2021
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

 

Shoreline view of Barbados (Photo: Pixabay)

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) — In an effort to “make the wrongs that have been done right”, the Barbados Government has announced that it will be offering refunds to tourists and visiting Barbadians who have been affected by delays in receiving their second

READ ALSO

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

COVID-19 test results.
Minister of Tourism and International Transport Senator Lisa Cummins said her ministry had received correspondence highlighting the financial impact on persons who were in accommodations beyond the expected time as a result of delays in receiving their second COVID-19 test results.

“I wish to announce that if your results are outstanding beyond 72 hours, the Government of Barbados will cover the cost of your hotel room until you are able to get those test results; we will be covering those costs,” she said during an update on Saturday evening.
She further explained, when questioned, that the refund applies to “over 230 persons” who had been affected by the recent backlog at the Best-dos Santos Public Health Laboratory.

Senator Cummins said the decision to refund accommodation costs was made after consultation with the prime minister and minister of finance and the Ministry of Tourism.

“Many of us travel, we have a budget. We’re travelling and we know we’re going to be in a hotel; we’re expecting to stay for four days five days, and we budgeted for that.

“In this instance, we have a number of people who have written us to say, ‘We have been in our hotel room for seven days, and we budgeted for four or five days… and we have no
In addition to refunding persons their extended accommodation costs, Minister Cummins revealed that travellers who didn’t get to “see what we have to offer you, because you’ve not gotten your test results and you’ve not been able to leave your room”, are being offered the opportunity, if they are so inclined, for a paid return trip to Barbados.

“We know most of you want to be able to come back because you didn’t come here to stay in your hotel room. We appreciate you for respecting our quarantine rules…and staying in your room, but we want to offer you an opportunity to come back.
“If you want to have an opportunity to come back to Barbados…because you’ve not gotten your test results and you’ve not been able to leave your room, we want to invite you to make contact with us again. We will be offering you a return trip to Barbados again once this is all over,” Senator Cummins announced.

She emphasised that Barbados has had a long history of hospitality and of welcoming people to its shores.
“We want to make sure that we offer you the best that we have to offer. Things will happen. And when they happen we will stand up, we will take responsibility, we will correct them — [and] we are working to correct this one,” she said.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
[Photo/Xinhua]
Global

Robotics boom fueling nation’s tech ambitions

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 3,000 cutting-edge robots and related products packed the 2026 World Robot Conference, which opened in Beijing on Wednesday,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Chief of Staff of the Guyana Defense Force (GDF), Brigadier Godfrey Bess (left) and Commander of the U.S. Southern Command, Admiral Craig S. Faller sign the Acquisition and Cross Servicing Agreement.

Guyana, U.S. sign defence cooperation agreement


EDITOR'S PICK

Crisis at the Ministry of Amerindian Affairs 

April 3, 2022

Statement on fatal road accident involving Police rank and Student

October 31, 2025

We Are Asked To Trust The State With Our Lives But Without Protection Or Accountability

December 3, 2025
This combined image shows Trinidadian Shannon Mohammed (right); and Guyanese Eshwar Persaud, Captain of the MV St Vincent VII, onboard a rescue vessel in Guyana waters. (Trinidad & Tobago Guardian)

Trinidad’s Rescue Success Throws Guyana’s MV Barima Response into Sharp Relief

July 23, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice