Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
Minister of Health, Dr. Frank Anthony said on Thursday that it has been observed that most COVID-19 positive patients at St. Cuthbert’s Mission are asymptomatic, meaning that they have the virus but do not show symptoms of it.
The village, located just off the Soesdyke-Linden Highway, has been under lockdown after some 269 COVID-19 cases were recorded last week. Minister Anthony said that, with a medical team now stationed in the village, this number has dropped to 153.
“We continue to do testing and over the last 24 hours, we found maybe two additional persons who were positive. So, we’ll continue to monitor, test and once we identify positive people we would isolate them and take the necessary precautions. The good thing so far is that most of the people there have been asymptomatic but, however, when you test them, you’re finding that they’re positive,” he said.
The village is made up of mostly indigenous persons. Dr. Anthony said that there have been two cases in which persons displayed mild symptoms and the health team has remained on the ball. Added to this, he said that two other teams are working to provide health and sanitization awareness and supplies.
“I think those things those things have helped to curb the spread,” the Minister said. “We continue to work with the Village Council and the leadership there to ensure that people ensure people understand why they need to take precautions such as wearing masks and doing social distancing. I think we’re gradually getting better compliance.”
Meanwhile, members of the joint services are working to enforce the lockdown instituted to the community and the Civil Defence Commission (CDC) has supplied food items to persons who are no longer able to work as a result.
Should positive cases spike in the village, Dr. Anthony said that the lockdown will be extended. However, based on the number of recoveries, he is hopeful that the numbers will continue to be on the decline.